Anyone ever see this happen?(leaf spring broke) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone ever see this happen?(leaf spring broke)

CADDYBILL

Reaction score
City, State
Broad Channel Queens NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EDDIE BAUER/ sold
I did not think that leaf springs could be broken on a passenger vehicle. I have heard of them breaking on big trucks and buses but not on an X.
Look at he 2nd one up from the bottom.
Leaf_spring_002.jpg

BTW anyone have a replacement?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that looks like an AAL that broke. is it? i don't remember any of the stock ones being that thick other than the overload one.

yeah, looks like AAL to me

AAL for sure, stock pack has only 4 leafs (or is it leaves ;))

We had a customer come in our shop the one time with a toyota tacoma that had 2 broken leafs on the one side. How he broke them was beyond us because he did not load that truck up very much.

That's pretty crazy though, even to bust an AAL

Your right that does look like the AAL I got from Skyjacker. Do they have any sort of guarantee on their parts? I have only had it for about two years.

Skyjacker is a great company, call them and see what they say...you will need the receipt.

I just spoke to Skyjacker, they said to go through the company I bought from. So I called 4wheel parts.com They said I have to purchase a new one at $66.99 +tax and then return the broken one for a full refund. So in the end it will cost me shipping of about $14 for 2 new leafs. Not too bad considering I have had them on the truck since November of 2001.

Yeah that's an addaleaf, and don't feel alone.

I've broken not one, not two, but three AALs. The first time was a couple or three years back at Moab... incredibly, Mudd***** had one he hadn't installed yet with him, so he gave it to me. Whowouldathunk someone would actually have an AAL spare, LOL....

....but after busting the second one, I kept a spare too.

Now I don't use them... instead I went to using F150 leafs to beef up and raise my rear.

I read this thread yesterday, and while performing a routine check of our security vehicles (2 rangers and one explorer), found that the second blade down was broken on BOTH leafpacks. only a short bit between the two U bolts remained on one side, while one of the broken blades settled into the rear of the tire on the passenger side. the blade was wedged up against the tire so hard, the tire actually wore away 1/2" of the steel!

I wonder how close the loose blades on the drivers side came topuncturing the fueltank.

I'll try and take some pictures tonight.

Back