Anyone Painted Their Seats/vinyl?

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I've been thinking doing this to the 92....Of upgrading My Seats with 97-01 Explorer Seats since they seem to have a higher back, and upgrading the door panels since it seems like their stronger. But...one problem no 2nd Gen. Red Interior, but a couple weeks ago I was watching Trucks on SPIKE they were doing the bronco project believe it was a 79. I've painted my console the leather armrest too but don't stick to well, they used a different method, They used Eddie Bauer leather seats scratched them up or something then painted them with a vinyl paint. Has anyone done this? What was the outcome after a couple weeks or months, has it cracked/flaked off or anything? What method is the best method of painting the seats and door panels anything vinyl or leather?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't done this, or heard of anybody who has, but I think that it probably wouldn't work so well. I just can't see it staying and not cracking/flaking with the constant changing it will be going through.

Yeah...thats what I was thinking too but they keep coming out with advances in specialty paint products that it may absorb differently or something.

I have to admit, if they made/make a paint that could stand up to that it would be pretty sweet!

they make a vinyl dye that will work 100% on leather seats

There are some on this forum I have seen, the leather seats were dye'd black, looked great IMO

Back