Anyone think this is a good idea? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone think this is a good idea?

Its kind of disappointing that NOW after someone damages their truck that everyone understands (or will understand) how easy it is to do this.

Yeah why are you disappointed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure I get your point of mentioning the mods ganging up on you here:dunno:

Have you put one on your rig yet? Any pics? All we have here is an idea and a pic of a Jeep's undercarraige... from a year ago. If you think you will need the protection, by all means, build it.

just say the hell with it and do it!!!:thumbsup:
if you think it needs it... add it....
i much prefer protection over "what if's" (that goes for multiple subjects)
thats why i added almost 1500lbs of steel to my rig

He recently installed the transfercase skid plate, and I think he forgot to put the pics on this thread but he has them on his registry. But I have seen the pics of it.

Not sure I get your point of mentioning the mods ganging up on you here:dunno:

Have you put one on your rig yet? Any pics? All we have here is an idea and a pic of a Jeep's undercarraige... from a year ago. If you think you will need the protection, by all means, build it.

I actually do have skid plates on my truck now. Its nothing as beefed up as the jeep ones, but its pretty darn close.

Transfer case
skidplate.jpg

Fuel tank
10-1.jpg

Looks good to me. A fuel tank skid plate is definitely important with the plastic tanks.

Its kind of disappointing that NOW after someone damages their truck that everyone understands (or will understand) how easy it is to do this.
Sorry to hear about the damage done to your truck mojave. Where were you out at that you hit the tank?

in those volcanic looking mountains near the border not sure where no gps or map just wingin it lukily had a freind and his jeep labeled dented from michigan there to yank me off here in the deserts of the west we need the protection of those jeep plates to me plastic is no bueno period if legality wernt an issue id put my tank up on my roof the exhaust is crushed so bad you could fit a fingers hight in there rear bumpers flapping around but somehow passed safety shes been drove hard from snow resorts to being trashed need to keep her okay though for when i get kids

the guy i was with said something like cave canyon we wernt far from us mag mayby 15 miles from the plant like i said wingin it hope for the best found a new tank pulled from a 04 for 80 bucks so well see how long it lasts cant wait to get that dodge back though

Well that just sounds like a case of not knowing (or caring about?) the limits of the truck. Can't fault the truck for that.

i figure if i break something then thats the limit of that item dont hate i care just figure if somethings gonna break oh well

Well that just sounds like a case of not knowing (or caring about?) the limits of the truck. Can't fault the truck for that.

wingin as far as where were going not the vehicle, im suprised at how capable 3rd gens are just trying to go up volcanic rock piles isnt in the list of does
i drive all mine hard even my kia rondo went offroad where it shouldve not been

I once cracked an oil pan on my Mazda pu on a campsite so you never know. You don't have to be rock crawling to do such a thing. Also check out the plastic materials guys have been ranting about on this forum, if your concerned about weight. It's a cutting board plastic, or a cut up 55 gallon drum. Also don't forget to drop the plate and check for leaks often. They tend to hide them until it's to late.

Back