Anyone use Royale Purple Fluids>? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone use Royale Purple Fluids>?

Would like to see a comparison between Amsoil and RP. I picked up a brochure on RP and it sure does have some interesting features. If you can believe the tests shown in that brochure like the Oxidation Test. It does not mention what leading Syn oil, it just says leading Syn. oil. vs. RP. RP goes off the scale at over 1200 Minutes to Failure where the leading Syn. oil lasts to 400 min.

This test I really like. ASTM D-2782 Timken OK Load Test.
Supposedly the RP has something called Synerlec that strengthens the Film strength. This really helps on start up. Which is one of the most crucial factors of how well a lubricant works during this time when oil pump has not had a chance to flow oil to all parts of block. Again the test does not mention Amsoil. Only Leading syn oil.
Leading Syn. goes to just under 20 Pounds of Timken Load while RP goes just under 100.

They are probably talking about Mobil 1 -- the entry level product, not their 15,000 mile, etc. Certainly not Amsoil -- which tests as well or better than RP. In any case, I always find it weird that people that won't even talk about or try Amsoil -- a VERY proven product -- seem pulled to every other sort of product on the market. Not that RP has any issues (I don't know of any) just the perception, I guess...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

... I always find it weird that people that won't even talk about or try Amsoil -- a VERY proven product -- seem pulled to every other sort of product on the market...

I don't think it has anything to do with the actual product. More likely it's due to the difficulty in actually buying Amsoil. You have to either order it online, pay shipping, and be prepared to wait for it to arrive, or take a chance and buy it from some guy you've never met, who has no store, but lives in your area. Compare this to the experience with other products: decide you want it, go to the local store you know isn't some "fly-by-night" seller, and grab it off the shelf.

I don't think it has anything to do with the actual product. More likely it's due to the difficulty in actually buying Amsoil. You have to either order it online, pay shipping, and be prepared to wait for it to arrive, or take a chance and buy it from some guy you've never met, who has no store, but lives in your area. Compare this to the experience with other products: decide you want it, go to the local store you know isn't some "fly-by-night" seller, and grab it off the shelf.

Flandry that's a good point. If this RP is as good as they say it is and they are comparing it to Mobil 1 and it's that much better, then I'll most likely use it just because it's sold at a auto dealer right down the rd. Now if it was reversed and they sold Amsoil at the dealer vs: ordering RP from some individual I would use Amsoil. Either way I'm still not letting no oil go 25,000 miles before changing anyway.

Still would like to see an independant test between the two including the tests I spoke of.

Two things about Amsoil...

1. You can "buy in" to get the product direct from the manufacturer for $10. You get wholesale prices and direct to your house shipping with no inventory to stock, etc.

2. There are local places to purchase the oil. Just call your local dealer and see where he has his products on sale. When I need something right away, I can pick it up at the local Bumper to Bumper store right down the road from me.

i been using royal purple 5w-30 oil for about a year now.i put 4 quarts of royal purple in then 1 quart of lucas synthetic oil stabilizer.i want to drain the rear dif. out and use royal purple there also.plus i put a bottle of that royal purple ice in the radiater.i think royal purple is some pretty good stuff!

They are probably talking about Mobil 1 -- the entry level product, not their 15,000 mile, etc. Certainly not Amsoil -- which tests as well or better than RP. In any case, I always find it weird that people that won't even talk about or try Amsoil -- a VERY proven product -- seem pulled to every other sort of product on the market. Not that RP has any issues (I don't know of any) just the perception, I guess...

I've been reading some independant research were they did a comparison between RP and Amsoil. I just googled the two and came up with all kinds of tests. I really don't care about the Molly that's in RP. Fine for first time engine breakin but not in my oil.
I'm leaning towards Amsoil now.

well, napa sells it here, and i don't see any local places that sell amsoil, so i'm gonna stick with Rp.

FWIW, I wouldn't run any synthetic oil (except Mobil 1) for break in duties. From what I've seen, the motor will NEVER seat the parts.

I'd suggest running a good grade of dino oil for break in purposes -- Valvoline is my choice. Then, at around 10,000, I'd make the swtich.

FWIW, I wouldn't run any synthetic oil (except Mobil 1) for break in duties. From what I've seen, the motor will NEVER seat the parts.

I'd suggest running a good grade of dino oil for break in purposes -- Valvoline is my choice. Then, at around 10,000, I'd make the swtich.

You quoted my engine builder who did all the machine work, word for word even down to the mileage. And that's what I'm doing. Then find a Amsoil dealer. . .who knows I might become one.
When I put that engine together I used Molly (Molybdenum Disulfide) on all surfaces which is the standard of the trade. It's like liquid graphite. This is the stuff RP has in it so it will cling to the bearings. What I read about it was that when mixed with oil it can come out of suspension. And this is increased as the heat goes up.
Another thing that I picked up on was that in RPs tests they never mentioned Amsoil Hmm. At least what I read.

i been thinking about trying amsoil.it says you can go 25,000 miles.is it safe to do that? or should it be changed every 3000 miles?

i been thinking about trying amsoil.it says you can go 25,000 miles.is it safe to do that? or should it be changed every 3000 miles?

Do a search and you will find a ton of info on that. aldive has vast knowledge in this department. He has tests done on his oil and it can go far far longer then 3000. One of the things that I have found out is that the viscosity of Amsoil has longer staying power then other oils.

It would be extremely foolish and wasteful to change the Amsoil 25k/35k mile oil at a 3k OCI.

I have gone 30k miles with Amsoil Series 2000 0w30 oil ( Dead Link Removed ). Take a look at the UOA for this oil at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200647&highlight=30k .

I now use the new Amsoil Signature Series 0w30 oil ( Dead Link Removed ).

ok guys thanks for the helpful advice!.its just i got a oil change in about a month or 900 miles.so i think im going to try the amsoil.thanks again.i will probably leave it in for atleast 25,000 miles and try that.

Aldive, do you think it'd hurt puttin 0w30 in my 96 4.0 OHV motor, with the cold weather up here if I don't do anything to cause alot of heat on the motor? I was thinking bout it since you run 0w30 but for awhile I'd occasionally tow with it and didn't want to use a light oil when towing.

DO not...i repeat do not go 25,000 miles on oil. aldives vehicle has no oil leaks or problems with the engine - if yours does, that will really hurt it to not change your oil until 25,000. i wouldn't do over 10,000. I'm unsubscribing - i've learned enough lol

Aldive, do you think it'd hurt puttin 0w30 in my 96 4.0 OHV motor, with the cold weather up here if I don't do anything to cause alot of heat on the motor? I was thinking bout it since you run 0w30 but for awhile I'd occasionally tow with it and didn't want to use a light oil when towing.

Remember 0w30 oil is 30 weight oil at operating temperature ( just as is 10w30 ). The 0 weight is only in a cold motor.

You should be fine using it.

Good luck ....

ok just double checking cause you seem pretty knowledgeable on oil basics. I just didn't want to risk the motor not getting enough lubrication.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok your right i shouldn't go 25,000 miles.i been using royal purple for a while.and i love it.but been considering using amsoil.i mean if its better than royal purple.but no my truck does not have any oil leaks and runs great.i use 5w-30 royal purple.so my next oil change i will try the 4-quarts of 5w-30 amsoil with a quart of my usual mix of lucas sythetic oil stabilizer.and finish it off with my k&n oil filter.another $55.00 oil change.

Back