rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
Need some help on this one guys. I have a decision to make. I have two trannies, one an AOD that came out of the donor car 1983 that I got the 302 from and the C5 out of B11. I like the idea of the over drive about 30% in the AOD, but have heard about how everything has to be right to shift and some reliability questions. The C5 I read on this site that I can put some C4 stuff in it to make it stronger and use the C5 bellhousing. I guess what I'm asking which would be the stronger plus cost enters into it also. This will be a daily driver and trails. and with the AOD I would have to get an adapter from AA

Hey dude! haha slow down here.
If you run the C4 transmission you only need the C5 bellhousing if you are using the transmission behind a 4.0L OHV V6, you see.
The C4 was behind the 5.0L for years.

The output shaft and tailhousing adapter on either transmission (C4 or AOD) is what you need to be careful of when choosing a transfer case.
AOD from a 4x4 truck (F-150) will be ready to bolt to a T case. An AOD from a Mustang is ready for a drveshaft (2wd)
The C4 is the same way, when they put the C4 into the Ranger and BII (2.8L engine becamse 2.9, then 4.0L. C3 became C4, C5 and eventually A4LD) they called it a C5 and used a different bellhousing and output adapter to accept the 60 degree V6 and also a transfer case (BW1350)

I personally would go with the AOD and retain OD because you said daily driver. With the AOD (same bellhousing and output shaft as the 4R70W, trans I used) you can back it with a few different T cases including from full size fords (F-150), the BW 1354 (explorer/ranger with AA adapter), or a dana 20 EB case (gear case, aftermarket gearssets are avail, cheaper AA adapter)

You can also go one better and use the 4R70W which is basically the late model version of the AOD-E with a wide ratio gearset. this trans is computer controlled and requires a controller. Baumman engineering makes an excellent package for this trans (would be the ultimate setup, change shift points with a laptop, etc..) Lots of Mustang guys use this 4r70W because it is strong and adjustable, and because oft he gear ratios. They are also becming popular int he Bronco crowd for off road, backed with either a D20 case or Atlas case. :)

AOD from full size Ford truck = ready for 6 bolt t case. Using a 5 bolt = requires adapter, there are more than one avail from Advance Adapters

C4 will bolt up to V8 but requires C5 style tailhousing to accept t case.

In my Bronco II I went with the 5" Advance Adapter AOD to BW1354 T case.
This required my 4r70w to be taken apart to swap new output shafts (soft rebuild same time). I basically converted it to accept a Ford 5 bolt t case. I am running the electric shift BW1354 from a 94 explorer. Basically this is the same case my BII came with = makes it simple.
Now eventually I will be going to the dana 20 t case with a crawler ratio gearset, but that is some time down the road. The dana 20 case to put behind the 4r70w = shorter and far cheaper adapter from Advance. Does not require taking the trans apart, its jsut a short stub shaft to go from trans to t case input and a short bolt on 6 bolt to D20 bolt adapter.

IN my 96 Explorer, which also has the 4r70w trans I will be bolting in a low range t case from a full size ford truck. You see they onlymade the V8 explorer in AWD, never with a low range case. AWD to me = gas guzzle and way less off road/snow ability.. There are members of this board who have done this conversion first for me thank goodness :)

BAM:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97181
(remember 4r70w is physically the same as a AOD in the front and back)

rebuild both, some new parts and you would be golden with this setup (no OD):
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143415

Ok, just spoke with my trannie builder. He said that he can up grade the AOD and that no matter what get a High Grade shifter since I'm going with one of those cable type. HE also told my that he will set up the TV cable because they are prone to not shifting right if this is not set up right. Still learning about all this auto trany stuff.

yes the AOD can be a PITA, be careful you want a truck version not car version (the converter stall, shift kit, etc the builder might use)
the TV cable must be adjusted perfectly, it is the AOD's only connection to the outside world.

You can use a Mustang floor shifter fit/s works perfect in the BII
Mine is from a 96, but thats because I wanted the OD button too

Back