ARB questions

ahhjaws

Moab Edition Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Hey, I'm going to swing and get the front/rear ARB lockers. My question is will I need two compressors, or will just one work? I'm doing my SAS right now and was going for the cheaper Detriot, but didn't want them locked all the time. This is still my daily driver (pavement, interstate). How is everyone's experience with these? How do they handle not engaged on pavement? Not any rough turns or whatever?

Another question, should I get 4.56 or 4.88 gearing? Like I said it's my daily driver.

EDIT: Sorry, I have 35's

You will only need compressor for both lockers. In fact, 4wheelparts has a deal right now for J**ps that if you buy both lockers they will throw in a compressor for free. Might get them to give you the 8.8 rear instead. Worth a try anyway.

I have a detroit locker in the rear. If I did it all again, I'd go ARB F/R. I've gotten used to the locker in the rear. If you have the auto, it isn't so bad. The best off-road, but for a daily driver, I think it's deffinately worth the few extra bucks for the ARB.

Gears is a good question. I'm running 4.56s with 35's, 5 speed and like it. I think I'd really like 4.88s but I will make up some of it in performance mods. My RPM is just right for freeway speeds. If you have the auto 4.56s will be just fine. If I could do it all over again, (just might) I'd go ahead with the 4.88s. MPG won't be that much different but on the trail it'll be nice.

You can run the ARBs off of one pump, the ARB is tapped for two takeoffs so if you use it just for the lockers you will be fine.

I just got an ARB for my front and am debating the compressor to use. The ARB, or something like the Viair, or the Quick air. I would really take a look at what you plan to do with the compressor Air up, just run the ARBs maybe air tools(with tools I think the only pump to get would be the high volume A/C pumps) . The use will determine the compressor.

I think that I may use the ARB compressor and add a 5 or 6 gallon tank that I can charge at home from my "real" compressor before I leave so the ARB doesnt have to work as hard to air up tires. The ARb is small and takes a while to air up a 33 or 35 inch tire.

4.88s would be my vote with 35s.

We have 4.56's and don't regret going that route.
The 8.8 stays cooler on the freeway w/4.56's and the gears are somewhat stronger than 4.88's.
If you want deeper gears then have your cake and eat it too with a 3.8 to 1 transfer case.
IMHO, if you have an auto trans I would go w/ 4.11's with 33's and 4.56's with 35's. then go with the after market transfer case if you need more gearing... Especially with it being a daily driver. The transfer case cost would be alot, but what a much bigger difference off road, then going w/ 4.88's.
But if were talking 3250 Rpm's versus 3000 down the interstate.... It's even another bonus w/ 4.56's
One final note...
Top end RPM's on the freeway is something you can't reduce once you make the change, but you can always have your cake eat it too later (T.C.), if you feel the need..

I hope this helps.. Good luck either way.:)

Back