Assateague Island -- summer 09 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Assateague Island -- summer 09

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the idea for late july. the weekend of the 26th is perfect for me. even if they total my mountaineer im sitting on a black 2004 explorer limited the day I find mines totalled I go and sign the papers. then swap wheels and tires and all that good stuff. so im 100% in

come on boys lets get some more feedback on when we would like to plan this trip !!

im already starting to gather supplys for the required items to roll on the beach... im so excited for this !!

and your factory jack counts. also make sure you have atleast a 8000 lbs strap. they do get picky with the tow strap

yea... i am goin to look for some 10,000 lbs straps tommorrow, or sumthing close to that... i want them to be atleast double the weight my the X...

im interested i have to see closer to the date before i say 100% also is it 70 a person or 70 per truck?

they don't charge by the person just by the truck that's why I say its a good deal. family of four can go on a weekend vacation for about 300-400 for food and gas. depends on where you live. also if you get the 150 pass its a year pass and its night or day. you can go whenever you want and you don't have to pay again till your pass runs up a year later. I went about 11 times between last june and now. with just me and my girl it runs about 125 for gas and food for the weekend. just bring sandwiches makes it really cheap haha

so lets figure a date and how many vehicles asap so I can call and see if we can get a group discount.

also I do have one extra strap if anyone forgets or needs one. if you need a jack junk yards give them away for free and wood. I can grab if you let me know ahead of time. also I have a extra shovel if you need also

well 3 ppl have said the last weekend in july would be good for them...

so figure the 24,25,26th i think is what i posted...

what size wood would be optimal for the beach ???? cause im goin to hold off from buying that...

12 by 12 half inch hard wood or 3/4 ply wood. go to any lumber yard and tell them what you need usually they will just give it to you

Macknos, you should probably start a thread in the Off Road Planning forum, I say we shoot for 24th-26th of July. I'm in, if you need me to do anything let me know!

i did start a general thread in there...

edit... i did start one, but it got erased ???

ill start on again

No more starting new threads about this particular outing .. I'll move this to the off-road planning and discussion.

EDIT -- okay thread moved and renamed.

woods for sissies!!!!!!!!!! Gas it,,lol actually i might be interested in this one,, Kinda tired of going to the OBX,,

i couldnt imagine that anyone would get stuck to bad on the beach but, i never have gone wheeling on a beach so it will be a new experience for me...

Its easier than you think, especially if your playing in 2wd.

i couldnt imagine that anyone would get stuck to bad on the beach but, i never have gone wheeling on a beach so it will be a new experience for me...

Yea, if the sand is soft its really an art. you have to know when to play with the throttle and when to go easy.

I have seen lifted pickups sittin on 35"+ tires buried to the frame rails!:roll:

I wouldnt worry too much about getting stuck or unstuck -- as long as there is a group, getting unstuck is cake (and half the fun sometimes).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

End of july would be perfect. Like I said, it's a 5 mile drive for me. I went there sunday morning to be exact. 13 miles of beach plus the whole island. I drive a bone stock 1992 Eddie and I can get through in 2wd for the most part.

Back