ATTN: Flowmaster Dual 40 Series Owners | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATTN: Flowmaster Dual 40 Series Owners

Its very hard to explain what I'm trying to say so I'll draw a diagram in photchop and post it here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now my questions is , will the Y-pipe in the second photo cause enough air restiction to result in performance loss? remember its going from duel 2 inch to Y-pipe 3 inch.

Diagrams:
3435254323232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D3253%3E8%3C8%3E85%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3232899895%3C26nu0mrj

3435254323232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3253%3E8%3C8%3E85%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3232899895%3C27nu0mrj

Why not one single size?

I can't the mufflers 3inch inlet 2.5 inch outlet. So I have to upsize to 3inch in and downsize to 2.25 out. Is this correct?
Looking at the picture do you think the Y-Pipe before the muffler will cause any problems?
Would shops even make it?

A shop would do it. I don't see any problems besides the 3" inlet. Why'd you buy a muffler with a 3" inlet?

For a couple of reasons, I wanted a Original Flowmaster 40 series muffler with duel out, the only one that came with duel out was a 3 inch inlet. But, besides all that the number one reason was I got it for 40 bucks new.
Husky, I see you said that there will be problems with the 3" inlet? If they can downsize pipes what is wrong with upsizing? Maybe a different reason?
Thanx for all the help husky.

The only reason I would think that 3" would have is lack of back pressure. Remember, SOHC engines need backpressure to produce power. With dual exhaust you will notice some lost in torque but a increase in top end (what I found out when I got dual 50 series on my old truck.)

How much do custom Y pipes usually cost to be made at a shop? If I need two...Would it be easier to just buy a muffler made for dual in/dual out?

Not to burst anyone's bubble but I just had a "true" dual exhaust installed on my X sport. It sounded good and seemed to perform good. I had it dyno'd stock and after the exhaust modification ... I lost HP and TQ and that's with 2 1/4" pipes.
I went back to the shop who recommended this and they are now working on a 2into2 or a 2into1.

But aren't dyno runs +-4 hp/tq?

Yes they are ... but after the time and money you would expect to see an increase not a loss. I was looking for performance gains not really a "sound". There were 3 runs stock (just intake mod) and 3 runs after the exhaust. The "best" run is used from each and that is using the same dyno and tester, 6500 rpm limit and sae scale.

And I've been saying dual mufflers have a loss of power, but I'm sure it sounds badass.

First off, never buy exhaust expecting horsepower increase, just buy it for sound. Thats what I did. A chip/intake/gears is what you want for performance.
Husky-You never said what the problem with my 3inch inlet was...

You get performance with the proper sized tubing so do expect HP increase.

I doubt you'll have any problems. It's just weird.

Do you think its not a true flowmaster? I got it from ebay. By the way, now that you mention it I'm not sure why it has a 3" inlet, it is wierd. I'll do some research.

Nope, Checked everything, its a real flowmaster. It has no flowmaster logo stamped on it and he came in a brand new flowmaster box with the flowie papers inside. Checked the website and 3" Single In/ 2.5" duel out is an option.
No matter, im glad I got it for 40 bucks.

I don't see anything weird about the 3" inlet, just you buying it for a vehicle with a 2.25" (?) outlet.

I'm not keeping the stock tailpipe.
And I think for $40 its a great price to downsize it a .25 inch?

icepounder said:
Yes they are ... but after the time and money you would expect to see an increase not a loss. I was looking for performance gains not really a "sound". There were 3 runs stock (just intake mod) and 3 runs after the exhaust. The "best" run is used from each and that is using the same dyno and tester, 6500 rpm limit and sae scale.

So what muffler/set up did you end up going into?

DId you have to dump your spare?

Which mufflers did you get? What inlets/outlets?

Afboy143 said:
So what muffler/set up did you end up going into?

DId you have to dump your spare?

Which mufflers did you get? What inlets/outlets?

The shop is working on getting me a custom FlowMaster made for me. To get some back pressure and still maintain a free flow affect we decided to go with a 2 in/ 2 out ( 2 1/4"). The problem is I had everything done in SS and FM only offers this particular muffler in aluminized. My guy is working on getting that muffler made of SS.

No I didn't dump the spare. I had the pipes routed out the right rear. This used less pipe, it has a nice look and hopefully better performance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how much is this custom muffler, I really want a super 40 series with dual in/ dual out

Back