• Register Today It's free!

"Audio Off" Message

craw157

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
My dash reads "audio off". I cannot access the audio screen. I have no voice commands or volume on my phone. If I push the "home" icon I can then touch a radio station and everything then works...except the on/off/volume knob does not work. I cannot turn on or off the audio system. I can also put in a CD and then eject it and then the sound system works except for voice commands or bluetooth. Any help out there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try pulling fuse 29 and then reseating it, or else disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and then restart. Should have "performing system maintenance" come up and then the system will reboot.

Thanks, I'll gove this a try.

Funny, I had this happen on the way home from work today. It rebooted by itself. Just odd...had the nav screen up, and MFT just started slowly breaking down until the Audio Off came up.

Ours will say "Audio Off" when restarting the car after playing from the USB the previous trip and it finishes the list of songs (not a playlist, but like when I say "Play Artist XXXX", and it will start playing 1/50 songs, after it finishes that 50th song, it will stop playing). I do a new USB search (which is usually says the USB is disconnected, but it isn't), and despite the error, it plays fine. It still works, but it is definitely quirky. The screen doesn't always reflect what is actually going on. As long as it works, I don't find it a problem, but it is still goofy! :)

My Exp doesn't have a fuse 29 and I disconnected the battery. Still have "auadio off". Any other ideas? Oh, by the way, if we do get the radio to work by using the home icon and then touching on a radio station, when the vehicle is turned off the radio does not go off at all. I waited 15 minutes and the radio was still playing.

My Exp doesn't have a fuse 29 and I disconnected the battery. Still have "auadio off". Any other ideas? Oh, by the way, if we do get the radio to work by using the home icon and then touching on a radio station, when the vehicle is turned off the radio does not go off at all. I waited 15 minutes and the radio was still playing.

craw157,

Please try a Master Reset to your system:

Touch MENU (Gears).
Touch SETTINGS.
Touch SYSTEM.
Touch the down arrow until you get to the very end.
Touch MASTER RESET.

You'll have to re-pair your phone after the Master Reset. I'm going to have you Reverse Pair it by doing the following:

Go into your Bluetooth Settings on your phone and make sure Discoverable mode is set to always or ON.
Touch ADD A PHONE.
Touch FIND OTHER DEVICES.
When your phone shows up on the MFT screen, select it.
Type in the Pass-key of 0000 and touch ENTER.
Your phone will now ask you to enter in a Pass-key, type in 0000 and the equivalent of OK.
Both devices should now connect to each other.

Let us know how this works for you!

Rebecca

The reset worked. A big thanks to you!

Wife's 2015 Sport. We came back from a trip this weekend and the audio system was working fine as was the voice in the Nav system. At some point, I switched the audio source from my phone, hooked via USB, to FM radio. On the right message screen the message "Audio Off" displayed even though the radio continued to play. (The "Audio Off" message is no longer being shown on the right message screen.)

My wife drove the car for the first time since we got back today and reports there is no sound. I check and she is correct there is no sound for any of the audio sources, in fact, the little volume line on the lower left of the FMT screen, in the Entertainment Quadrant, is absent. I plug an address into the nav system and don't hear the warning about obeying traffic laws or whatever it says. Additionally, when I push the voice command button there is no audio asking what the command is. So basically there is no audio output over any of the functions.

I did a search and found a thread about doing a "master reset" due to an "Audio Off" message but that was on a 2011 Ex. Obviously the car is under warranty but if there is a reset procedure I can do to avoid a dealer trip I'd prefer that solution.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that may help with this issue.

Did you try the Master Reset? If not, go ahead and see if that works. The Master Reset function is the same on all model years as far as I know.

Peter

Didn't get a chance. My wife just reported we've had spontaneous remission and the system is working again. I've read where that happens so we'll follow this along.

As a respectful aside, recognizing it's difficult to be a forum moderator, I wonder if appending my post to what initially looks like a four year old thread would decrease views of my post in spite of the fact it does bring the thread to the top. Just wondering...

Didn't get a chance. My wife just reported we've had spontaneous remission and the system is working again. I've read where that happens so we'll follow this along.

As a respectful aside, recognizing it's difficult to be a forum moderator, I wonder if appending my post to what initially looks like a four year old thread would decrease views of my post in spite of the fact it does bring the thread to the top. Just wondering...
Issues of a similar nature are usually kept in the same thread, regardless of when the thread was started. That is one reason that all members are asked to use the Forum's 'Search' feature before opening a new thread. In fact, reviving an older thread has resulted in more members, especially new ones. posting in it. Good luck.

Peter

Hi ECinEl

Just like peterk9, I suggest trying the master reset too. If you need them, here are the instructions: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync...h/settings/how-to-perform-a-master-reset.html Let me know how it goes!

Shaay

The "fix" was most likely a system reboot on it's own. If you've ever seen the black screen that says something to the effect of Performing Scheduled System Maintenance, that is the system rebooting. It will do it every so often when your vehicle is shut down, unless you start up in the middle of it. It's like restarting your PC, it clears memory etc. It's a good thing. I would avoid a master reset, you will lose some settings and this reboot will almost always fix the glitches that start to appear. You can tell when a reboot has been done by: When you prompt for a voice command, hit the X in the upper left of the message box that appears on screen. In the future, when you do a voice command, the box will not reappear until after a reboot has taken place.

Hi ECinEl

Just like peterk9, I suggest trying the master reset too. If you need them, here are the instructions: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync...h/settings/how-to-perform-a-master-reset.html Let me know how it goes!

Shaay

Shaay and peterk,

Sadly the spontaneous remission was not long lived and the system reverted to no audio. I just did a master reset which did nothing except delete my previous settings. Still no audio on any of the radio modes, nav, or voice commands. Of note, the little volume bar at the bottom of the entertainment quadrant isn't there. My wife is on the phone with the dealer to schedule our warranty work. Sigh...

OK, wife got her car back today after a 4 day stay, two were the weekend, to get the audio repaired. Dealer replaced the amp, part # CT4Z-18A849-B. Part had to be ordered in and took a day or so. Things appear to be back to normal best she could tell on a 15 mile drive. Spent some time re-pairing wife's phone, restoring presets and putting her FMT wallpaper back. Oddly, the FM presets seemed to have remained intact but all the SiriusXM presets were deleted.

Oddly, the FM presets seemed to have remained intact but all the SiriusXM presets were deleted.

Yet another feature of a master reset.

I just bought a 2013 Ford Edge . Audio was fine in test drive . Now it is stuck on Audio Off. I read this . Went to settings and couldn't find master reset but found restore system defaults . Did that and it didn't help . Very frustrated ! New (to me) car and no audio ! Please help . I hope I'm not fixing to be out more money

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok ... Never mind . I turned key off and back on and now it is working

Back