MyFord Touch Screen Blacked Out/Audio Off. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MyFord Touch Screen Blacked Out/Audio Off.

Stewart Spencer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
2011 Ford Explorer XLT with 500 miles; 3 weeks old. Nothing on but AC and navigation screen; screen went black and audio off. Dealer service technician read a service bulletin, but did not seem to apply. I waited in customer waiting room while he went outside. Popped hood; gathering around vehicle. I turned my back; he returned almost immediately. Said everything OK. I asked what was wrong and he said he did not know. System now working. Not very reassuring. According to internet traffic, ground swell of problems and complaints about SYNC With MY Ford Touch . Understand this system is second generation. Anyone with comments or guidance. Episode not reassuring or positive reinforcement re decision to buy Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What were you doing when the screen blacked out? Any devices plugged in? Check sync my ride to see what version of the software you have.

What were you doing when the screen blacked out? Any devices plugged in? Check sync my ride to see what version of the software you have.
Thanks. Sync VersionGen2-V2.8. Confirmed installations - BT4T-14D548-AM;BT4T-14D548-GA;BT4T-14F603-AM; "SYNC compatible software" ( 3 times )

Hi Guys, Lou here... I have question, gotta 2011 Ford Explorer Sony System. My screen went started going blank a year ago and every once in a while it would kick back on it's own. All would work fine for about a week and then it would fail again. It would go weeks sometimes months and than out the blue it would work again. When it fails nothing works, I get "No Audio" on the dash board. When I pull the fuse or the battery cord I get audio for about 1 minute and then it goes back to "No Audio" however i get no display. My question is how do I know if its the display that has gone bad or could it be something else? I know this sound odd but I notice in really cold temperatures the display seems to kick on. When it comes on everything works fine...????Any thoughts or recommendations? Is it the APIM thats gone bad? I don't want to spend $500 on a APIM and that not be it. Is tit possible to keep the radio working without the display? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Welcome to the Forum Lou. :wave:
I believe what you are referring to is the MyFord Touch screen. The one with the 4 quadrants on it. Have you tried turning the radio ON with its own power button? Not sure that would make a difference or not. Unless there is a loose connection or grounding issue, it sure sounds like the APIM is failing.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Lou. :wave:
I believe what you are referring to is the MyFord Touch screen. The one with the 4 quadrants on it. Have you tried turning the radio ON with its own power button? Not sure that would make a difference or not. Unless there is a loose connection or grounding issue, it sure sounds like the APIM is failing.

Peter

Peter, thanks for the response I really appreciate it! I've spent days/hours trying to find someone with a similar issue. Not much luck yet. Yes I've tried every which way to turn the radio on but I get nothing. If I pull the fuse or disconnect the battery it'll kick on for about 30 secs and then it cuts off. I get the "Audio Off" signal on my dash board. The touch screen doesn't come back on at all anymore. I'm leaning on the APIM needing to get replaced but I wasn't sure if that only effected the screen from working or if it also could be making the radio to cut off? I just wanted to get some advice before I went off and bought a new APIM. Thanks greatly for your help!

I have merged your thread with this one that also mentions Audio Off. There are many, many threads on issues with Blank or Black screens. This one seemed to be the most appropriate one for your thread although there unfortunately is no solution posted.
Use the 'Search' feature in the upper right and you can find all the ones on the subject. It can take some getting used to the Search feature to get down to what you want. Search/Advanced Search/Search threads

Peter

I upgraded my sync2 to sync3 and have all the components in a box in garage. Complete with A10 maps. If you are taking a road trip to Austin. Not a hard swap. Might need some programming, if our vehicle options are different.

Peter, thanks for the response I really appreciate it! I've spent days/hours trying to find someone with a similar issue. Not much luck yet. Yes I've tried every which way to turn the radio on but I get nothing. If I pull the fuse or disconnect the battery it'll kick on for about 30 secs and then it cuts off. I get the "Audio Off" signal on my dash board. The touch screen doesn't come back on at all anymore. I'm leaning on the APIM needing to get replaced but I wasn't sure if that only effected the screen from working or if it also could be making the radio to cut off? I just wanted to get some advice before I went off and bought a new APIM. Thanks greatly for your help!

I also have the same issue with blank screen and no radio and I did the battery pull and the sound would be on for about 30 secs and then stop.
I had it diagnosed by the dealer and they said it was the ACM not responding. did you had your dealer check?
I had some doubt that it's the ACM due to what I found in the internet and it's most likely an APIM issue.

Back