• Register Today It's free!

Auto Hubs

cobrapete

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4WD
I know, I know, I know, I should switch to Manual Locking Hubs. But first things first, I rather figure out the problem first.

I replaced the front wheel bearings, calipers, discs. I finished, and when I went to test drive, there was a "random rotational clacking" sound, you know, clack........clack.......clack.....clack..................clack..clack.......clack..........clack.....clack

I'm a mustang guy and I have no clue what it could be.

I cleaned everything thoroughly in the hub and then greased it, yada yada. I dunno.

Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you torque everything to specs? and did you put the little lockpin back in?

I did everything according to my Chiltons Manual I have for this car.

Yes I put the key back in.

The Chiltons does not give any torque specs. It says to spin the bearing retainer nut hand tight.

Nothing looks sheered either, it all looks copasetic.

Sounds like the hubs BUT it is starnge that it happened imediatly after working on the car.

Stupid question: what happens if you swap the auto hubs from Passenger to Drivers side? does the sound change sides too?

Update, I switched to manual hubs and now there is a clacking sound that is more consistant as far as the timing goes for the sound. Where the first clacking was a "Spring Loaded" random type of clack, and this is clack clack clack like clockwork.

I've taken both of the drivesafts out and they're the original u-joints. The car has 160000 miles on it. How do you tell if a u-joint is bad? The Spines look ok, some very minor sheering and that's it. I dunno...... I'm a mustang guy and have not a clue about these 4x4's
Thanks

Back