Auto liftgate troubles | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto liftgate troubles

Thank you for this info. Possibly I might go for the OBDlink MX. I read some info about it and it sounds like a very useful tool. Quite a bit of the terminology I didn't understand but could probably learn to use it to my benefit. Not sure if we have any Android based tablets around here or not but that can be acquired.

I'm considering going to a shop to get the code read and see what comes up. I hate for this issue to drag out another week or two but it probably will. I just sent my paperwork and pics to the state to start the process of converting the title from a salvage to a rebuilt title. That will take a couple weeks at best so I guess in the meantime I will contemplate acquiring the scantool suggested. If I get a small inexpensive Android table to facilitate this will a cheap tablet work OK ? I see a few online for 50 -60 $. Will those be OK?

On modern Ford vehicles this tool is a must have. Really good to have one since you have 3 Ford vehicles.

If you go to a shop, and it's a non Ford shop, you need to make sure they can read Ford non-engine module codes. Most of the new Snap-on, Autel, OTC shop level scanners can do this but not all shops have them. If they do ask for the codes from the "LTM" to be pulled.

In my opinion I would go with the PC route first. Do you know if your laptop has bluetooth?

The tablet I use is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0". It was about $100 a couple of years a go. Kinda slow but good enough for pulling codes and reading data. Slowness gets a tad aggravating.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well my lovely wife decided to go ahead and order the scanner and a small compatible tablet . I believe it is a Galaxy. Should be here by Tuesday. I work Monday and Tuesday so Wednesday I will see if I'm smart enough to use this equipment.

The Explorer is gonna be the daily driver for the wife and she is a tecchy geek so she quickly thought I should have this tool. I do almost everything to my cars that I can poossibly do. I have one good mechanic 35 miles from me . I hope this helps me identify my gremlins. Pretty sure the wife ordered the scan tool you suggested so I'm kinda excited to ferret out the culprit. I may have some type of update Wednesday afternoon or evening.

Thanks for holding my hand and all the feedback.

I appreciate it.
Steve

While you were doing that I messed around with the latch on mine. Took the lg panel off and unplugged the latch. Confirmed my thoughts that if the latch is unplugged it kills the whole system no movement at all.

Used jumper wires to simulate the 3 switches inside the latch. Couldn’t get it to operate until all 3 switches were jumped.

Attached are photos of forscan showing the main indicator switches in the latch and what they show on mine for the 3 positions of the latch (unlatched, halfway latched (1 click), and fully matched.

1F59CB47-87E4-4AD1-B522-DB5BD52DB164.jpeg

EA843422-E84C-4FF8-A356-841E957D1DCF.jpeg

6BAEC200-D9FD-4296-81CB-0E8AAC83B140.jpeg

Wowza ! First off, I really appreciate this assistance. I certainly didn't expect anyone to go to those lengths. Awesome to say the least.

Now, when my equipment gets here in a couple days it'll be interesting to see how challenging the learning curve is gonna be for me.

By looking at the pics you posted I might be able to interpret what it is telling me, but it certainly isn't gonna be automatic. I think once I play around a little bit and read whatever instructions come with it I will be grateful to see the info it can provide me.

Just curious, with the latch having 3 different positions: open, one click on the close, and the second click for fully closed, I noticed 4 readouts on each pic . What am I missing ?

I like to fish and my depthfinders are quite capable but I don't get them all dialed in and tricked out like some guys do. I'm just not a techhy but willing to learn so I'm excited to see if I can solve this without going to the dealer.

I really am grateful for the feedback , if you only knew.

Thanks,
Steve

We are all standing by waiting with eager anticipation Steve.;)

Peter

That 4th variable/indicator was just for the “sector gear”. I think it only shows active when the cinch motor is running.

Hey I love digging into this stuff. It’s what I do at work, except they are Mercedes.

Plus it gives me experience In case mine screws up.

Here’s a quick video I made to get you started.

Thanks for the video. The scan tool and tablet arrived today. Will see what I can do tomorrow.

I did use a jump wire on the top switch on my latch and when I push the button the liftgate started going down automatically.

Update. I'm stuck in the early 20th century. I have the scan tool, a compatible Samsung Galaxy tablet, and have loaded the obdlink.mx Bluetooth app on the tablet. It is showing paired to the tablet. I also have loaded the Forscan Lite app onto the tablet . So far I haven't been able get connected through the forscan app or the obdlink.mx even though my tablet shows to be paired with the obdlink. More head scratching going forward as I try to figure this out.

Once that happens and I get the error codes cleared maybe with a small dose of luck I will be able to interpret what the error codes actually mean, but I'm still a long way from that point.
Be patient. I do have a fair amount of sticktoitiveness and don't like giving up.

Well I got some really great assistance from sheltonfilms here on the board. It appears the switch/motor/module that latches/unlatches my power liftgate has failed. I haven't priced a new part yet and may also look for one used from a recycle yard. Not sure on that yet. I won't get a chance to look at it again until Wednesday . I did the car tagged and insured and it's totally driveable so now I'll have to pry it away from the wife to follow up the remaining few repairs I have to finish.

Really appreciate the assistance. I did get the OBDLink and the forscan Lite app to help diagnose. In my case though I'm pretty sure I can't evaluate what info it provides but sheltonfilms was a great help with that part. Will try to do some more follow up on Wednesday.

Sheltonfilms, do you remember what the part is actually called ? I couldn't remember if it was a switch/latch/motor/module or what.

Deleted

Well I got some really great assistance from sheltonfilms here on the board. It appears the switch/motor/module that latches/unlatches my power liftgate has failed. I haven't priced a new part yet and may also look for one used from a recycle yard. Not sure on that yet. I won't get a chance to look at it again until Wednesday . I did the car tagged and insured and it's totally driveable so now I'll have to pry it away from the wife to follow up the remaining few repairs I have to finish.

Really appreciate the assistance. I did get the OBDLink and the forscan Lite app to help diagnose. In my case though I'm pretty sure I can't evaluate what info it provides but sheltonfilms was a great help with that part. Will try to do some more follow up on Wednesday.

Sheltonfilms, do you remember what the part is actually called ? I couldn't remember if it was a switch/latch/motor/module or what.

This should be the part. Note there is one for manual liftgate and one for power (power has -C and manual is -B at the end of the number. You can also look at car-part.com that searches all your local junkyards for the part.

Figure out anything on the rear overhead light?

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-latch-assembly-bb5z7843150c/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9bGlmdC1nYXRlJmk9TUYxMTY3MDUmcj0xNCZhPWZvcmQmbz1leHBsb3JlciZ5PTIwMTUmdD1saW1pdGVkJmU9My01bC12Ni1nYXM=

I believe it is probably part #14 BB5Z-7843150-C on this diagram.

Peter

UPDATE :

My liftgate latch mechanism/motor came in today. I installed it and the liftgate works automatically now ! Happy !

Previously , taking the shotgun approach I had replaced the power lift cyinder but that didn't do the trick. I removed the power lift cylinder and reinstalled the old one and the liftgate still works auto power ! So that means my old power lift cylinder was good after all.

The automatic part where you swipe you foot or leg under the bumper doesn't appear to be working though. the gate will raise and lower automatically with the button inside the drivers area, the key fob, and the button in the back of the vehicle. It just doesn't work with the foot activation.

One other issue that I know of is the rear dome light was staying on and I haven't checked to see if changing the liftgate latch motor had any effect on that.

thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

UPDATE :

My liftgate latch mechanism/motor came in today. I installed it and the liftgate works automatically now ! Happy !

Previously , taking the shotgun approach I had replaced the power lift cyinder but that didn't do the trick. I removed the power lift cylinder and reinstalled the old one and the liftgate still works auto power ! So that means my old power lift cylinder was good after all.

The automatic part where you swipe you foot or leg under the bumper doesn't appear to be working though. the gate will raise and lower automatically with the button inside the drivers area, the key fob, and the button in the back of the vehicle. It just doesn't work with the foot activation.

One other issue that I know of is the rear dome light was staying on and I haven't checked to see if changing the liftgate latch motor had any effect on that.

thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Good to hear. The foot swipe feature wasn’t added until 2016 model.

Good to hear. The foot swipe feature wasn’t added until 2016 model.

Uhh............... OK. Didn't know that. I'll take another peek at the rear dome light this weekend to see if it is still stuck i the on position or maybe, just maybe replacing the liftgate latch motor possibly somehow in the circuit for the rear dome ? I hope so.

Thanks for all the support. Maybe one of these days before long I can post up a few before and after pics so ya'll can see what this car looked like when I bought it. My first project and maybe my last. Not sure though , I'd kinda like to find me a truck .

I finallyy got the boat straightened out ( long story ) so I gotta catch up on my fishing a bit before I take on any more rebuilds.

Thanks for the help guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back