Liftgate Trim Removal - Help? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Liftgate Trim Removal - Help?

j3000000

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer
Did you have to take it all the way off before you did the plasti dip? did you just loosen some if it?
How is plasti dip wearing? I heard car washes are hard on plasti dip.
I have 2016 and i want to change chrome to black. I wish i could lose "explorer" too — but i think that is too big of a dream.
joe in detroit.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BradleyFord

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Base 4WD
@dora51032 and @j3000000 I'm considering doing the plasti dip on the same part on my 17 Ex, can either of you comment on the durability of the plasti dip?

<

dora51032

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 Explorer 3.5 FWD XLT
@dora51032 and @j3000000 I'm considering doing the plasti dip on the same part on my 17 Ex, can either of you comment on the durability of the plasti dip?
@BradleyFord mine was still holding strong, some faded lines but isn't noticeable. i am restoring it by applying some plastic treatment like armorall or black to black

<

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I can get a black trim piece off a same year Police Interceptor Utility but they are for PIU's without cameras. My XLT has a camera.

Is it possible to add my existing camera to a trim piece from a vehicle with no camera? I don't mind if I have to do a little Dremel work to add the camera housing. I tried painting my chrome trim but even with steel wooling the surface and using automotive paint it's peeling so I'd like to replace it with a factory black one. Anyone try this before?

<

benny18

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I sanded and painted mine with black high temp paint over a year ago and haven't had any issues with peeling so far. (Knock on wood)

<

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
<

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
<

BaseFan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Base
I was thinking about this also as that panel is the only chrome on the whole Base model....

I would rather just paint it than try to remove it....

While the plasticdip looks interesting and removable... I was considering the black chrome product from Dupicolor...

Has anyone done that? If you are unfamiliar with the product here is the site..

https://duplicolor.com/product/shadow-chrome-black-out-coating

Any opinions would be appreciated...

<

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
Mine was previously painted but that paint is peeling in spots. I need to get the trim piece off so I can scrape and sand and use some proper epoxy based self priming paint.

<

d_a_m

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT EcoBoost
I plastidipped mine without removing it and added a bit of glossifier to it. Just mask it all the way around and you should be fine. Try using a razor around the gaps if needed so to prevent pulling off too much.
I'm considering just wrapping it in vinyl next. I'll add pics if I decide to go that route.

<

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum d_a_m.:wave:

Peter

<

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I ended up removing my trim completely. Needed that Torx driver to get the camera out but it was pretty easy. Unplugged the wiring and DONE. One caution, I threw masking tape around the locating pins that are part of the trim piece while it was loose, dangling from the wires, etc. as I dismantled the camera mounting. This prevented them from swinging free and scratching the paint. Once covered in masking tape it was safe.

I power sanded the old paint off and scuffed up the chrome plating to give the new paint more "tooth." I used VHT Epoxy satin black. This is one of the toughest and "stickiest" paints around. Very robust. It was a nice day so after I did an alcohol wipe down I let the trim warm up and gave it several coats. I let it dry in the warm sun thoroughly and remounted it. No problem. It's actually been a few weeks since I did that and the paint is holding up 100% and looks great.

Exp_BackRENU.jpg

<

davefur

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 PIU
Can anyone post a pic of the inside of the hatch above the glass with the top trim piece removed, I'll be looking to route a harness thru the rubber boot from the hatch to the body.

<