auto trans shift cable attachment at trans. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

auto trans shift cable attachment at trans.

Mike65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
City, State
Horsepasture, Virginia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
I need some help here, we have a 2008 Escape with 4 cyl, & auto trans, during the week I pulled the truck into the driveway & put the shifter into park but the trans was still in gear. I shut off the engine chocked the wheel so it did not roll & opened the hood. I found the plastic connector on the end of the shift cable had come off the ball stud on the lever on the trans. I figured the plastic was broken so I ordered a new cable from my local Ford dealer. I tried to install the new cable on the ball stud on the trans lever & it will not snap into place. Is there anything that is supposed to be on there besides the ball stud to hold the cable on the ball stud like a retainer clip?. I removed the cable bracket for more room to work that is why it is missing.

100_1713.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im not familiar with the escape but for most of these Fords the cable just snaps onto the ball
It can be pretty tough to do especially with a new cable
Try a little bit of motor oil to help
The column shifter and trans should both be in N when you do this, that is the proper way to adjust a new cable, in N

Thanks Jamie I will give that a try. It has a floor shift if it makes any difference.

Ive used large adjustable pliers to push the cables over the stud end. Little bit of lube helps too

Thanks.

Back