Autostop eliminator | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Autostop eliminator

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure it was.

Sure it was.
Just read an article saying they could be good for as many as 500,000 starts. Also, the batteries are better now since they also have to carry the electrical load when the engine is OFF. Cold starts are more damaging on the starter.

Peter

So if I turn the A.S.S. off, the starter and the battery will last even longer. One start in my eight-mile commute instead of at least five? Yes, please.

The actual function is to wear out the battery and starter too soon.
My battery completely failed at 19,000 miles or about 19 months of driving. It was during the auto stop cycle on a 100 degree day with AC and radio running and not even the hazards would flash. Complete electrical shutdown. No lights whatsoever. Fortunately, a jump start got me to the dealer and they replaced the battery under warranty.

Autostop Eliminator was the first thing to go on my new 2021.

My battery completely failed at 19,000 miles or about 19 months of driving. It was during the auto stop cycle on a 100 degree day with AC and radio running and not even the hazards would flash. Complete electrical shutdown. No lights whatsoever. Fortunately, a jump start got me to the dealer and they replaced the battery under warranty.
Sounds like you had a bad battery. With the conditions you described, the feature never should have activated.

Peter

Sounds like you had a bad battery. With the conditions you described, the feature never should have activated.

Peter
That's what I was thinnin'.

Actually you can, this guy figured it out
View attachment 425820
If you don't want to go the forscan route, get a tune from 5 star or other reputable company and they can disable it right in the tune. I chose not to because I already had an A/S eliminator.
Oh this is amazing. I’d love to remove mr auto start stop eliminator for a real software fix

This may justify a new thread, but my 2021 Lincoln Corsair will not allow the Start/Stop function unless the battery's static charge is above 12.6 or .7 volts.

On the surface that may sound reasonable, but only if I drive the car 20 or 25 miles a day. I do drive almost every day but seldom more the 10 miles. We're retired and it's just not feasible to rack up the usual 10 to 15,000 miles a year.

This presents a real conundrum. Folks driving lots of miles and using lots of gas get to use the Auto Start/Stop, while those of us using minimal fuel lose any potential saving. In fact us old folk probably spend more time at the stop lights than folks traveling to work.

So...is it possible to change the set point to 12.5 using forscan. I talked to the Lincoln service advisor and he didn't want anything to do with it because, even if it were possible, it would void the warranty.

Finally, I don't want to start a debate over the merits of Start/Stop. I happen to believe the function does help reduce pollution and save fuel. It doesn't do much for me but collectively it makes difference. That's even more true now that regular gasoline is pushing $4 a gallon, unless you live in California.

Personal-vehicle idling wastes about 3 billion gallons of fuel— generating around 30 million tons of CO2—annually in the U.S., according to the Department of Energy.

AATWQGM.img.jpeg

With my '20 Ranger I was able to plug one of those small led night lights into the outlet at the back of the console. It tricks the system into thinking it's not ready. One buck at the dollar store if anyone wants to get it a try on the Explorer.
Where it is plugged in exactly?

Where it is plugged in exactly?
I think there is an outlet on the back side of the console, accessible to rear seat passengers. I would think the mention of an outlet and led would be like a led night light?

Hi Steve. As a low mileage driver, I've found that mine hasn't actually engaged for probably 4 months to more.
As far as fuel savings go, you are saving money and reducing pollution simply because of your driving pattern. I average about 2.700 miles annually.
The last time I filled up with 91 octane, it was $8.03 a gallon (Imp) which I believe would equal roughly $6.43 a U.S. gallon.

Peter

I think there is an outlet on the back side of the console, accessible to rear seat passengers. I would think the mention of an outlet and led would be like a led night light?
Ok. Weird! However, I can't see any reason why plugging anything into that outlet should disable auto-stop start. Seems like all it could do would be to discharge the battery. Any ideas?

I think they are saying they plug in a LED light into the 110V outlet in the backseat of a Ranger. In my F150, if anything is plugged in to the 110V outlets, the inverter is on, and the auto start stop is turned off.

All part of the series of items the vehicle looks at before deciding whether to use Auto Start stop or not.

Just get a float charger, plug it in over night once a week. As for any nebulous savings - they'll be offset by the cost of batteries and starters.

All wear and tear items will eventually fail Mike. That would include the upgraded starters used for vehicles with this system There is a member with a 2019 Explorer who is now on their 3rd battery. I'd say the overall failure of even the regular starters is very, very low here.

Peter

I think I'll just move on. It's not worth the hassle. I am saving money by not driving but the Auto Start/Stop thing just bugs me.
Thanks for the comments folks
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back