• Register Today It's free!

Autostop eliminator

steelerhawk

Reaction score
City, State
Wilton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer XLT
Installed the Autostop eliminator. Pretty easy, but is really my only complaint on the vehicle. Complete BS that the consumer has to buy the part to allow you to toggle the autostop off indefinitely. The resetting oem switch is one of those forced economy features that would make me really consider another brand. At least my '20 Edge let me toggle it off indefinitely.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
This feature has been discussed at length. Auto Start-Stop Technology...Please NO!
My understanding is that you can also disable it with FORScan.

Peter
Not any more, unfortunately. I've looked and looked. There's no direct command you can issue. I even tried some of the "back-door" steps (making the car think the steering wheel is not centered, among others). Supposedly it turns off when a trailer is connected. That didn't work either. I absolutely hate A.S.S. I've just tried to get used to pressing the button on start-up.

Actually you can, this guy figured it out
1643483149009.png

If you don't want to go the forscan route, get a tune from 5 star or other reputable company and they can disable it right in the tune. I chose not to because I already had an A/S eliminator.

With my '20 Ranger I was able to plug one of those small led night lights into the outlet at the back of the console. It tricks the system into thinking it's not ready. One buck at the dollar store if anyone wants to get it a try on the Explorer.

Actually you can, this guy figured it out
View attachment 425820
If you don't want to go the forscan route, get a tune from 5 star or other reputable company and they can disable it right in the tune. I chose not to because I already had an A/S eliminator.
When the ice age ends, and the car is not grumping about the battery, I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

If you take enough short trips the battery state of charge will eventually get to where the thing stops shutting down. Mine hasn't stopped the car for about a year.

I know. There are about eight parameters that have to be OK before the A.S.S. interrupts rational thought.

If you take enough short trips the battery state of charge will eventually get to where the thing stops shutting down. Mine hasn't stopped the car for about a year.
I'm at about 6 months and counting. :)

Mine woudn't either, but then these are the guys who never heard of a "tune", even a Ford Performance Tune.

They won't disable A.S.S. and they don't have access to forscan, officially anyway. Forscan is an aftermarket program that allows you to go into the various modules on the vehicle just like fords IDS does. Most dealer techs don't understand or can even navigate the IDS so don't expect them to even know what forscan even is or know how to use it. If you want to make changes via forscan then acquire the program, the correct adapter to link your laptop to the car and do it yourself.

They won't disable A.S.S. and they don't have access to forscan, officially anyway. Forscan is an aftermarket program that allows you to go into the various modules on the vehicle just like fords IDS does. Most dealer techs don't understand or can even navigate the IDS so don't expect them to even know what forscan even is or know how to use it. If you want to make changes via forscan then acquire the program, the correct adapter to link your laptop to the car and do it yourself.
That is a very helpful explanation, honestly. This A.S.S. (appropriate acronym) is really the only deal-breaker feature for both of us. The eliminators cost about $85 each and appear to do what we as drivers should be able to do.

At least it can be turned off manually. Some manufacturers don't even have that switch. THAT would be the deal-breaker for me. ForScan is fairly easy to use - just do a full backup and note what the setting was before you changed it in case it has unintended results.

Our local dealer, where we bought both our '21 Explorer and Expedition would not do it.
The reason the dealers won't do it is simple. It is because of possible warranty issues. The Warranty Guide clearly spells that out.

"The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
•alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company"

Ford uses the IDS software tool which is comparable to FORScan.

Peter

The actual name is Auto Start Stop, hence A.S.S. If you plan on getting your vehicle tuned, don't waste your money on the eliminator. Competent tuners can now turn off the ASS in the tune. I found this out too late. I bought the eliminator before I took delivery of my ST and I didn't get it tuned until a month later. If I would have known, I could have saved myself 100 bucks. But if your staying stock and not getting tuned, then you need to buy an eliminator or use forscan to turn off ASS

If you take it in order of its actual function, it would be Auto Stop Start. ;)

Peter

Either way, the acronym still fits.

DUMB ASS

Disastrous Universal Manufacturer Bunk Auto Stop Start

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you take it in order of its actual function, it would be Auto Stop Start. ;)

Peter
The actual function is to wear out the battery and starter too soon.

Back