auxiliary lights -mounting the swith | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

auxiliary lights -mounting the swith

I just put lights on my brush guard and i was wondering where to mount the swith in my X. Any sugestions??? I would like if i didnt have to drill or cut into the dash if possible.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you have an aftermarket headunit i put mine in that useless pocket that is on the adapter piece....i just cut a piece of plexi to fit and then put the switches in there works real nice

Go to Radioshack and get a switchbox kit. It's a little black box (it can be painted) they come in many different sizes. It works well, this way there's not permant holes in the truck. You can get lighted switches for that. I drilled a hole in my dash and mounted one switch. Next month the county is leasing my X for a new S&R truck, so they are putting Municipality plates on it and some strobes. I didn't want a lightbar.
26354.jpg

This is where two of my switches are mounted ....

Attachments

• fan switch.jpg
    fan switch.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 263
  • gauge switch.jpg
    gauge switch.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 260

I had the idea of fabbing up a cover plate type piece to cover that ever so useful kleenex holder...that way you have a mounting surface inside that oval hole...No permanant drilling and you would actually have a use for that stupid hole.

man i hate that piece of crap...haha i just drop crap in it. Whats even worse is when people mistake it for a trash can :(

i used the kleenex holder, work perfect. nice to have an arm rest and not have to move my arm to flip on the hellas

so true napkins fit into it perfectly...

wired_af said:
I put mine in the overhead console (those white spots are dust):
DSCN0017.jpg
Well done. Where'd you get those switches at? How'd you get down to th dash? Rip the headliner down?

hmm my overhead doesnt look like that...i have a garage door opener button right there...looks good though!

I got the overhead console off of ebay, its the sunroof model, I cut out the sunroof switch, filled the hole with plastic filler, and sanded it smooth. I got the switches from Autozone and snaked the wires above the headliner and down the a-piller. Thanks for the compliments.

hey slravene
can you tell me more about your project with the kleenex holder, that sounds like a good idea to me.

ok, the box holder comes out (im sure you know that) and it has a gap in between the open face of it and the actual console part...I would fab up a plate to go there on the front of the box, and then mount the switches onto it. Run the wires through the full length console (if you have that option) and you will never see a wire. Ill get some pics of it when im finished.

wow
i cant wait to see pics of this. i think i might try this bacause i never use the holder and it serves the purpose of hiding the wires and not doing anything to the dash board, which is exactly what i want to do.

Thanks

that is what I did also

Here is a pic of mine completed.

Dead Link Removed

ITs an older pic but you get the idea.

KSpride, was it easy to get the wires down to the switches(i am asuming you have a couple pairs of lights) but i am interested in getting the wire from the lights on my brush guard to there. Is it a project over a day or something ill never be able to do, and how much of the dash and center console did you have to remove.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats how mine will look, except not with the multi colored switches ;)

Back