Aviator hard starting IMRC Module bad? Help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aviator hard starting IMRC Module bad? Help?

micahryanray

Reaction score
City, State
Central Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
Hello.

Recently my 2005 Lincoln Aviator had an engine swap performed at the dealership.

Ever since the install, the engine will have trouble starting intermittently. Sometimes it starts on the first crank, sometimes it cranks a while and starts, sometimes it takes two tries. It always starts eventually though. (Long story, but the warranty company won't help any further.) It runs great once it's started, btw.

My dealership diagnosed it as a faulty IMRC (Intake Manifold Runner Control) module. They don't exist anymore. The part is discontinued everywhere.

In a desperate attempt to easy fix it, I poured half a bottle of Seafoam in the intake. After a while, I revved it and heard a plastic flap click. Then it clicked two more times on subsequent revvs. It sounded like something breaking loose. This was followed by a tremendous amount of white smoke.

Since then it has been starting more consistently. Is it possible that the Seafoam fixed the stuck IMRC?

It's not perfect yet.
Should I try to find a used IMRC?
Am I on the right track?
Is the IMRC the right diagnosis?

The replacement engine had 75k miles on it. The Aviator has 85k miles.

Any counsel is appreciated.

Back