AWD explorer as hot rod chassis... | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD explorer as hot rod chassis...

Scruff...Werent you the one that posted on a thread I did over on FTE about using the explorer front end on the 59 frame? I wondered what happened, LOL. I appreciate yea throwing up those photos for me! Hope you can get to work back on the truck!

Am curious, what exactly do you have left fo the interior of the explorer limited body?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do remember something about a 59 actually? It's been a while.

Interior - I still have the complete steering column, both front seats, seat belts and a couple of other odds and ends. I'd have to have a good look. Is there anything in particular you need ?

Scruff...Werent you the one that posted on a thread I did over on FTE about using the explorer front end on the 59 frame? I wondered what happened, LOL. I appreciate yea throwing up those photos for me! Hope you can get to work back on the truck!

Am curious, what exactly do you have left fo the interior of the explorer limited body?

I do remember something about a 59 actually? It's been a while.

Interior - I still have the complete steering column, both front seats, seat belts and a couple of other odds and ends. I'd have to have a good look. Is there anything in particular you need ?

I would kill for the front seats but shipping from you to me would be massivly expensive :( I'm interested in anything interior wise though from door panels, center console, anything that makes the limited trim unique.

FYI, the seat tracks are heavy, and the memory seat requires the seat track(it has sensors in the motors). Folded back the seats may ship more easily, and without tracks.

Some of the Limited door panels are still available new on eBay. I bought three of them in gray(95-98) for about $200 or so. The top of them is leather, and 99-01 has wood grain trim.

Yea, ive installed memory seats in my 92 EB years ago, and now that I have a 97 XLT, time to convert it to a limited. Even folded though, that would probably be a total of what, 100 lbs to ship? Too bad no one is closer to me :mad:

No the seats don't weigh that much, maybe 30lbs or so apiece. I had Summit seats come to me in a decent sized box, with the seats folded flat. Without doing something like that you end up having it so big it ends up being a pallet thing.

I bought extra seat tracks last year to convert both my Mountaineer seats to memory seats. I haven't done it yet, but it's not hard. I used the Limited left motor set to swap into a right side seat track. Now I just have to do the car wiring and add the switch in the right door panel. I can do wiring.

Attachments

• Projectthread102.JPG
    Projectthread102.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,902
  • Projectthread108.JPG
    Projectthread108.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,941

I love my limeted seats in my 92 :D Yours look like first gens too. I just need to find a wrecked limited here locally and grab everything out of it for my vehicles. Wiring doesnt scare me either :p:

Yes, the 93-95 Limited seats are the best shaped, and the 91-94 Eddie Bauer were very nice also. I'm not thrilled with the flat seats of 96-01's. I hope the seats from Summit I bought are comfortable, I need to make adapter brackets to mount them to the tracks.

Hi guys! Just found this website by googling for Explorers. I have a 1951 F1 and looking at putting an Explorer chassis under it. A friend of mine has a 1948 with a Nissan Frontier under his.

How many have done this? Any pics, links, info would be appreciated. If there is no restriction on new member link posting I'll put pics of mine up soon!

I'm transferring two explorer frames of different years. Does a 1997 Frame work under a 2000 body?

I'm transferring two explorer frames of different years. Does a 1997 Frame work under a 2000 body?

Measurements should be very close if not the same.
I know there was a difference in the frames between 1994 and 1995 - the later being wider I believe.

I dont think there were any differences again until the 3rd gens - 2002

The 95-01 frames can be swapped directly, but I would not want a 95-97 frame. Those have the first torsion bar design frame mount. They have a permanent frame mount(steel pocket for the key), with the cushioning material attached just to the torsion keys. Those kevlar wear pads wear out too fast, say in 5-10 years.

The 98-01 frames have a cushioning pad as a replaceable part for the frame mount. It's called an isolator, and it's simple to replace if it ever did wear out. Basically those don't wear out.

Thank you very much. I "ve got a chance to buy another 2000 X, so I'll go with that one.

Very good, save another one. The 98 model had a lot of small upgrades, most is the same but enough changed to make it smart to buy any 98-01 instead of the 95-97's.

Did you ever finish the truck?

Scruff, It's been a long time since you last posted.I came across this thread while doing research for a build I want to do. Did you finish the truck? Any new pics? If not, do you still want to sell it?

Very impressive, little sad didn't see it finished!

yeah, you'll be well set-up then.

for your needs I would start right away and Z the frame up before you even begin so that you can get the front as low as you will want.

i'm hoping those parts i need are in decent shape in the truck- i still have all those parts in green in mine (with plans of painting the whoel thing black and grey... including the interior... yuck)

The way i'm going to recommend you do the front your likely to only have 4-5" of travel up there... which is the same as you would likely get from sort sort of an "air rod" type set-up, but still not a huge amount (i get like 10" currently)

U still have the front bumper?& if u do $$?
Also what other part do u have from explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back