• Register Today It's free!

AWD transfer case stuck

nrschaaf

Reaction score
City, State
Newport, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer AWD
Has anyone ever had trouble removing the AWD transfer case? I'm trying to separate it on my '97 X and all I can get it to do is wiggle enough to allow trans fluid to drip (very slowly) from the bottom. Not even enough room to hammer a wedge in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you completely sure you have removed all of the bolts? Feel around to be 100000% sure. I believe there is a dowel pin to locate the t-case, but I don't see how it could hold you back. It could be that the splines are stuck together somehow, but that is unlikely as well.

I have never had a problem removing a t-case. They have always come right off when the bolts are out.

Yeah, same here with T-case's sliding right off. I've checked and rechecked and rechecked and... you get the idea. I've strapped a comealong to it and winched it to the the axle and nothing. I've got a half a mind to strap it to the winch on my F-250, but I'm trying not to damage it.

You removed 6 bolts yes? There is a dowel pin --about 2 oclock or so

shifterbolt.jpg

Yup, got all 6 out. Is there any posibility the splines could be interlocked somehow? I can get the case to move alittle, but it simply will not come off.

I can't get it to separate that far. I've been trying. I put a juck under it and loosened the trans mount to let it go up and down and shook the **** out of it and still nothing. I've never seen anything like it.

Does it seem like it is rtv'd on? I can't think of any way it would be so tight

If you think the splines are catching, I wonder if there is a way to apply rotational impact to the output of the transfer case to hopefully pop that free--

I don't think theres any RTV in there, I managed to get a few chunks of the gasket out trying to get a wedge in and it was dry. The impact thing isn't a bad idea, I'm sure I have a socket big enough to get on the flange nut and see what that will do. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I like the impact idea. Bang it in both directions to see if anything happens. If you can get something between to pry while you run the impact, that may help as well.

I like the impact idea. Bang it in both directions to see if anything happens. If you can get something between to pry while you run the impact, that may help as well.

Howdy Stranger!

Howdy Jon. It has been a while. Your post count is really getting up there!

Well it's been a few days but I finally got around to trying again. Unfortunatly I don't have a thin walled impact socket so I wound up rounding some of the flange nut. Didn't do any good anyway. Since I was pulling the engine anyway I decided to pull the trans and t-case with the motor, not easy by the way. Once on the ground I finally got it to separate with alittle help from a 4' pry bar and a BFH. Can't see any reason why it was stuck though, there was no RTV on the gasket, no corrosion on either housing, and the splines were in perfect shape. Guess it's just one of life's mysteries.

How on earth did you get the entire works out without cutting the radiator support off? When I installed my 5.0 the engine was about as long as the distance from firewall to rad support lip. You must have had it tipped almost vertical!

Oh no, I cut the whole thing out. This truck was rolled over, it cannot be saved.

I don't understand why they didn't make it so that the nose unbolted though, that's how my old F-250 is. It makes it so much nicer when you need to pull the engine.

OH OK. haha. I thought I was missing something bigtime. On my donor Mountaineer for the V8 swap, we cut the front off just to save us time since it was a rollover as well.

I agree that a bolt on design would be real nice. The engine is packed in there pretty tight.

It really is, I'm not looking forward to dropping the Crate motor into my other X. I'd love to get my hands on the shoe horn that they used to get the V8 in these trucks, then beat the desinger with it.

Back