• Register Today It's free!

Axle code question

914x4sport

Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4 sport
I was trying to figure out my axle code from my door panel sticker....thing is I forgot that the drivers side door was replaced and the sticker is from another vehicle..Is there any other way I can get my axle code? (and I dont mean sitting under the car while it rolls so I can count the revs..) :) I mean is there anywhere I can look with my VIN and get my real axle code? Any help is greatly appreciated....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can't get the axle ratio from the VIN. I think what you have to do is sit under the truck. However, you don't have to count the revs. Stamped on a tag on one of the rearend cover bolts should be a tag with a series of numbers. Within the series will be a code starting with a 3 or 4. Examples: 327 = 3.27 open. 373 = 3.73 open. 3L73 = 3.73 limited slip. 4l10 = 4.10 LS. I think I got all this right, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's something really close to that :)

Good luck

thanks Ill check that out tomorrow(assuming I can stilll read the tag)

The codes posted are correct. At least they are on my 4.10 LS. My tag reads 4L10. As long as your tag is still there, it shouldn't be hard to read since it is stamped like a military dog tag is.

You guys also have newer Explorers..Mines a 91, I looked under there and there was a sticker, but the numbers and letters didnt seem to have anything to do with the axle codes as I know them...I also noticed that the rear u-joint just before the diff. said Spicer.. I though those were only aftermarket u-joints..Did they put them on stock ex's? Or was it probably replaced before I bought it? ANyway anymore help would still be apreciated,maybe someone with a 91(Mike?) could compare the code on my sticker with theirs? thanks

Jeremy

The spicer U-jount was probably replaced by the same person that left off the differential tag? I really don't know if the '91 had a metal tag like my '97 or not, but there are also stickers on my differential that don't come close to resembling an axle ratio. Try posting all of the information on the sticker and hopefully someone else here with a '91 will have a sticker on theirs that match. Otherwise your only other choises are 1) to give your VIN to a Ford dealer and if they are really nice they can print a replacement window sticker that should have your axle information on it , especially if it was upgraded from the stock offerings (I got one with my '95 T-bird I bought used from a Ford dealer), 2) lift up the rear and spin the wheels counting the revolution vs. the driveshaft revolution, or 3) count the teeth the next time you have your differential apart to change your fluid.

There should be a metal tag on the front and rear diff..Mine does have it on both..About 3" long and 1/2 wide..Still can't find it, we will figure it out the next time I see ya...

Whew!

Got the info I was looking for on the tags for the front and rear diff's...3.73 LS....Very happy about that, I was REALLY hoping it wasnt the Open 3.27 .I guess I shouldve expected it though,being able to chirp my 31's...Anyway,I guess this means after a few more mods and miles,Ill be able to go with the 33's without regearing! Yeah baby! hey you all might see some 31" KO's on the market in a few months!

Back