Axles vs. Independent | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axles vs. Independent

King of So Cal

Reaction score
City, State
So Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
First of all, YES!! I do know the difference between the two!! And after some long thoughts… I think I am going to keep the Ex. But only for a beater. It only hits the trails up here in Lake Arrowhead, CA. Just how you would imagine a mountain trail. Now there are some twists to where the flex of axles would be VERY nice! But I don’t want to sacrifice the smoothness of the independent… not to mention I haul ass on the straights.. which there are quite a few. I talked to a couple companies that said they can fabricate a full independent long travel suspension front AND rear! Thought that was pretty BA for a while! But then thought all pre-runners do great with front independent and a rear axle. And the rear axle would help with some of my flexing issues. OR.. just do axles front and rear. Now that would make it pretty much unstoppable. But again.. I don’t want to sacrifice the smoothness; I mean it’s going to be a trail runner/beater, not a rock crawler! I’m now thinking the perfect mix would be long travel kit w/ front independent and a rear axle.

Your thoughts would be great!

Oh and another quick vote. I will be covering my WHOLE explorer in Line-X!
Either Black or Military Tan. I’m more towards the Military Tan but your thoughts on that are welcome as well. But first help me with the suspension.

Thanks, guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The line x is going to look sick as mate, perfect for the bush! Are locker's an alternative to the extra flex offered by long travel suspension? A selectable locker/s wouldn't compromise your on road handling. Just an idea.:)

one hell of a project!! Lynchy, when you say "locked" you mean locking differentials?

Yep, got the part's but no fund's for the install:(.

A sport trac rear axle would be good to use if you decide on that route mate.

Oh damn.. forgot to say! All three differentials will be locked!

In that case the sport trac solid axle swap may be a cheaper option with more return.

Thanks man. Anyone else? Theres got to be more people then the two Lynch's

I think Independent is the future, look at KOH, they have even started to play with IFS. For the money, solid would be cheaper, but it's a lot of work and never been done. You have a lot of computer stuff to get in the way with RSC and all. If you want a smooth ride, and are not rock crawling, I think you answered your own question. Stick with the independent.

Ivan Stewart ran IRS since the late 80s on his truck!! He had to run with the Class 1 buggies, though.

normal_Ivan_1.jpg

normal_Ivan_2_002.jpg

Go for the LT indy front and rear!

Btf have a ifs/irs kit available on their website for an X. They are currently doing some work on 3rd gen's but don't know how different the 4th gen susp. set up is? Could be worth having a look at to compare quotes.

Thanks guys. Again there are SOME rocky parts that my ex suffers on and other trails I would like to hit.. but my Ex would **** itself just thinking about it. So a rear axle might be nice. IDK.. how much would a long travel IFS/IRS flex? I'm sure its a hell of alot better then the truxxx lift I have now with its 2" travel:banghead:

Btf have a ifs/irs kit available on their website for an X. They are currently doing some work on 3rd gen's but don't know how different the 4th gen susp. set up is? Could be worth having a look at to compare quotes.

hahaha, their one of the guys I talked to. They quoted me $8,500 for the full job. But are they still in business?? I haven't been able to get on their site for months...

^**** I hope so lol..

1st of all, your wording is wrong...when you say "axle," you are really referring to a SOLID axle. Independent suspension still uses axles to drive the wheels, they are just not "solid".

2nd, you can run SOLID axles at high speeds just fine if you are using some decent valvable shocks and take the time to tune them. Look at Jeepspeed for example. They race on solid axles for long periods of time, whereas in Big Bear you probably won't be driving fast for more than a few minutes at a time.

On the other hand, independent suspension can only take so much abuse from rock crawling before it gets expensive and/or starts breaking, and you calling this truck a beater makes me think that it is going to see some abuse. $8500 is a lot to spend on something that won't see anything near its full potential, and that price probably doesn't include shocks either. So I think solid axles would be better in your case.

3rd, BTF is still in business. Their site is being updated right now and I think their domain name changed...anyway, try this: http://www.btf-fab.com/

4th, Explorers have center differentials?

And 5th, please don't coat the whole truck in Line-X.

1st of all, your wording is wrong...when you say "axle," you are really referring to a SOLID axle. Independent suspension still uses axles to drive the wheels, they are just not "solid".

2nd, you can run SOLID axles at high speeds just fine if you are using some decent valvable shocks and take the time to tune them. Look at Jeepspeed for example. They race on solid axles for long periods of time, whereas in Big Bear you probably won't be driving fast for more than a few minutes at a time.

On the other hand, independent suspension can only take so much abuse from rock crawling before it gets expensive and/or starts breaking, and you calling this truck a beater makes me think that it is going to see some abuse. $8500 is a lot to spend on something that won't see anything near its full potential, and that price probably doesn't include shocks either. So I think solid axles would be better in your case.

3rd, BTF is still in business. Their site is being updated right now and I think their domain name changed...anyway, try this: http://www.btf-fab.com/

4th, Explorers have center differentials?

And 5th, please don't coat the whole truck in Line-X.

1st of all, it’s not wrong to my words. But you are right. Thanks for wanting to help out.

2nd, thanks for your opinion. That’s why I started the thread. And 8,500 were with everything.. even tax.

3rd, I was trying "BTF-fabrication" not just BTF-fab. Thank you sir

4th, huh? No.. When I say "locked" I mean theres no slip between front and rear.

5th, Why not? It’s my truck and I'll do whatever the hell I want to it. I'm soon planning on picking up a crewcab raptor for the desert and my G55 for the "go anywhere ability". Those two vehicles are the best for their worlds and if I keep the explorer it has to be good at something.. so a bulletproof Line-X'd tank would be perfect for something that’s a beater. Sorry if you don't like it

$8500 for everything is a smokin' deal then, but I still don't think it would be the best way to spend your money. And you said "all 3 differentials will be locked" so I was wondering what 3rd diff you were talking about.

And the Line-X thing is, again, just my opinion. But of course you can do whatever you want with your truck.

I now noticed that I for some reason said three locking diffs.. my bad

Well I talked to Brandon at BTF for a while. Very nice guy, he said he would be all over the IRS. And with softer shocks.. it can flex fine. Not axle fine, but fine. Plus if its locked then it should still be fine anyways. And it would be different, not many off roaders with IRS. Anyone think I'm crazy for wanting IFS/IRS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope. I hope you pull it off, it'll be rad. How rad? Way rad!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back