AZ guys...question on emission laws | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AZ guys...question on emission laws

prozachappy

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer...sportster
I have been running the KKM on my '94' for a few years now. Here in CA when it comes time for registration and renewal I have to remove my open element filter and put the stock airbox back in before getting it smogged.
I'm moving to Phoenix and will be headed down to the AZ dmv to get my truck inspected and smogged. Do I need to throw my airbox back in like in CA, or will I be fine with the KKM?
thanx, J.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might as well throw it on just in case and then ask the guys at the DMV if you can have an open element filter for next time. I know there is no emission testing up here so i don't have to worry about it.

It is fine....I tested mine a couple of months ago with it on

Chew_12 said:
It is fine....I tested mine a couple of months ago with it on
Where did you register your truck? I know that i don't have to do any of that emission stuff. Did you do it here in Flag?

I used to put my stock airbox back on just to make sure I passed with no problems. The KKM eliminates your hot air ducting which can cause you to fail the visual.

TheFox88 said:
Where did you register your truck? I know that i don't have to do any of that emission stuff. Did you do it here in Flag?

I register my truck in Chandler where I live, I dont really need to but I dont want any surprises when I move back to Chandler.

Rick said:
I used to put my stock airbox back on just to make sure I passed with no problems. The KKM eliminates your hot air ducting which can cause you to fail the visual.

Thats only if they can see you engine...Mine was covered in mud. :D

i registered mine in Glendale, they saw the cone and didnt say a thing.

thanks guys...I'll be reg'ing my truck in Phoenix, I know mine will pass emissions no problem, it actually gets better numbers than with the stock box. As far as the visual goes, I guess it is luck of the draw...depending on if the guy knows what he is looking at or not.
I once failed in CA. because my bi-metal sensor hoses were not connected to my airbox. I custom fit my KKM to my airbox, specifically leaving the bi-metal portion fully intact. I think I'll leave it be and see what happens, but throw the stock airbox in the back just in case they hassle me ;) Here is the way I have it set up (notice the bi-metal sensor is still attached)...I'll let you know if it flys...
filter.jpg

Rick, are you still throwing the stocker back in, or have you had any problems?

Back