B pillar overhead rattle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

B pillar overhead rattle

Rodomontade

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Horse & Buggy
If it is the cowl, there are members that have had it replaced/fixed under warranty.

Peter

Not the cowl.

Its the caps on the ROOF RACK. There is a cap in the front and the rear on each side.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Sorry, my mistake. I think I got the threads and issues mixed up. That's what I get for not checking out the 'title' first.:eek:

Peter

<

Rodomontade

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Horse & Buggy
Here is a picture: Pardon my arrow drawing skills:

2013_ford_explorer_sport.jpg

<

SHAD0W

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Velar
Are you able to remove the caps after you siliconed them?

<

CMRA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ex Limited
My issues was not external. The tech did not want to drop the headliner but when he did to replace the light assy on the 2nd row pax side he found a bracket that did not move the first time he touched it but "he grabbed onto that area and it moved." That was reassured and dampening materials were added. So far so good.

On my wind noise resealing the windshield did not help. They replaced the cowl but I still have crosswind noise. It's a different sound this time.

<

Rodomontade

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Horse & Buggy
Are you able to remove the caps after you siliconed them?

Yes. Only takes a small pea size dab at each end of each cap. Just enough to stop the movement.
Don't slather it on like a maniac.

<

SHAD0W

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Velar
Yes. Only takes a small pea size dab at each end of each cap. Just enough to stop the movement.
Don't slather it on like a maniac.

Ah I see. I'll keep this in mind if I have this rattle issue. Thanks.

<

CMRA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ex Limited
So it turns out neither issue is fixed. I'm now past 36k but have ESP and of course rattles and wind noise are excluded. Any suggestions?

<

croll326

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Back caps we're loose,but not the issue. I'll have to pull the front caps.

FYI I think there is a TSB on adjusting the cowl.

<

<

<

croll326

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Found nothing again. Was told they would have to tear seats apart next and they have no intentions of doing that.

I'm taking the seats out next. I don't care. $50,000 for a vehicle with rattles and a dealer who can't hear them and NEVER has had me drive around with a tech. Now I'm over 36k and prob screwed.

Thinking about selling for a foreign SUV I should have bought in the first place. Boring? Yes. Solid and quiet? For sure. Good dealer service? Yep.

<

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Just remember that all dealers are not the same. There have been quite a few members that have changed dealers and had their problems resolved. Did you ever reach out to Crystal, the Ford rep on here?

Peter

<

LukerDooker

Reaction score
City, State
N.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013Limited 301A TuxBlack
When driving, if touching the cross member above the drivers head and it quiets the rattle, then touch/push on the the sunglass pocket door and see if that silences anything.
Mine rattles slightly constantly, and will do it on smooth or rough roads, low, med and hi speed.
It frequently sounds like its coming from the passenger side or up above the drivers area but its that storage pocket door.

Other things up there that may be rattling are a wire clip or harness hitting the frame above the headliner and loose bulbs that still light up but could use a turn or two.

<

jwright4

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Update on mine...I had the same exact problem as original post. Dealer finally ordered me a whole new moonroof, track, etc. Covered under ESP. Noise is finally gone!!! :)

<