B2 Fuel Tank Swap Discussion Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

B2 Fuel Tank Swap Discussion Thread

Turdle

DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
I'm going to swap a 89-90 Bronco 2 fuel tank, pump and sending unit into the 93.
I am hoping to center the weight bias a bit better, and, extend driving range with the additional capacity. It will also move the gas tank out of the way and let me bolt my sliders on. So I have 3 good reasons to do this.

It all looks simple enough, however, how would I extend the fuel lines? Is there a simple fuel line kit which will snap into the existing spring clip connectors? Is there a way to avoid running all new lines?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I plan to do this someday, I've had the tank for a few years already. :rolleyes:

Matt (RockRanger) did this in his Ranger, and it's somewhere buried in his build thread. Maybe he can sum it all up for us here. hint hint.
Shouldn't be much difference for an Explorer...

I was just reading through Matt's swap last night. I've been thinking about this too.

I was looking at LMC's website and they have the tanks listed as:
'85
'85-'90

Is that incorrect?

From another website I got the dimensions as:
29 1/4" x 24 5/8" x 13 7/8" ( L x W x H)

My rough measurements of my new tank location are 32.5" Wide and 22" Deep. My personal plan is to only have the tank 9" below the floor. The other 5" will be above the floor.

I was on Bosch's website and noted that the fuel pump for my '96 is the same as the '90 B2. That's pretty much as far as I got. My plan is to buy the tank and straps and then build new crossmembers (shock and bumper) to hold the tank, shocks, and rear winch.

Matt's tank info starts around page 22 of this thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125858&highlight=tank&page=22

Hey Turdle remeber me (red exploder sport from frostbite- big bald guy nuttier then a squirrel turd) I have a BII tank, new pump, ect ect- but haven't done this yet. I bought some fuel line, barb ends and was planning to run a dual tank system, that way I have 2 pumps and can run off the other one if the first fails... I bought a dual tank valve the same as the f150 (1994). When I do the swap (few weeks maybe) you are more the welcome to come over and help/watch (whichever) I need it done by the 2nd week of Aug.

Section 525- why would you want 1/2 the tank in your cargo area? Wouldn't that put fumes in the passenger compartment-- and limit the cargo room? Not poo pooing the idea just asking why?

No no. I'd cut the floor out and raise that portion. Keeping the tank still on the outside/ of the passenger compartment. I'd rather sacrafice the inside area than the outside.

OK that makes much much more sense-- sure glad I asked. You can see my confusion (I hope)

Back