Back again...Best serpentine belt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back again...Best serpentine belt?

Carol K

Reaction score
City, State
Sac CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Hi, Ford Fans!
My 2000 Exp is running well now, no longer stalling but looks like belt needs to be replaced. Soon. :eek:
Can you guys please tell me in your experience what is the best serpentine belt? I see Goodyear, Dayco, Duralast, Valuecraft...
(Found a Goodyear Gatorback Poly V online for less than $20 with shipping...)
Thanks--Appreciate your input!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Goodyear is a good brand for belts. Gates is good too. Dayco is supposedly just OK - but I had no issues with the one in my Sable - lasted 80k miles and then... the transmission died :)

The main thing is that the belt tension is correct and no slippage happens - IMO the tensioner, rollers need to be replaced after 100-150k miles.

I have had good luck with the oem belt. I second replacing the tensioner at the same time.

My ex-Ford mechanic neighbor recommended Goodyear Gatorback belts and OEM tensioners.

When I replaced my belt and tensioner, I dug around online. The tensioner I got off eBay from a Ford dealer. Motorcraft brand. The Goodyear Gatorback belt I got from Rockauto. I was digging on eBay for a low price, but kept thinking about how old the actual belt might be. Didn't really think that buying a belt that was 10 years, for example, old sounded like a good idea. I don't know if the age of the belt matters, but I figured old tires are not ideal, so old rubber belts might not be ideal. I figured Rockauto pry does have some sales movement of that particular belt, so I would not be getting one that is New Old Stock.

Goodyear Gatorback

Old thread I know, but...don't get Dayco. I've never had a belt chirp before, so when my Explorer started chirping last month, I figured it couldn't be the belt. The chirp, btw, only occurs under acceleration in drive and usually above 1500 RPM.

I was running a Dayco belt that was about 3-4 years old, no glazing, looked brand new. So I replaced the tensioner and the idle pulley, to no effect. Finally, I did what I should have done in the first place: I replaced the new-ish Dayco belt with the 10 year old, worn out Goodyear or Gates (can't remember which) belt I had in the trunk just in case. Problem solved.

I've also had problems with the Dayco hoses I installed. I have to keep tightening the hose clamps because they seem to leak otherwise. Too bad, because I specifically bought Dayco products due to the Made in USA thing.

Dayco, you are dead to me!

Back