Back from Moab - put your photos and stories here | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back from Moab - put your photos and stories here

I am glad you made it home Ray, I sucked to leave you with a broken truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you got back safely Ray...

Well I made it back to Dallas. It was great to meet everyone. Cant wait till next year. How can I change my avatar? :confused:

We made it back home today at 1am.
I'm currently editing photos. I probably won't be finished until tomorrow.

As usual, we had a great time. It was good seeing everyone and meeting new people.

I think my Sport Trac needs an alignment now.

Cya,
John, Emmy, and Julia

I'm settled!

Well, I'm finally settled enough to have daily access to the site. Still not home, but where I'll be for the next 6 weeks: San Diego.

Thanks to everyone who came to Moab! Everyone added something to the weekend and made it a very worthwhile trip!

My pics aren't very good, and I don't have a reader for my digicam here, so they'll have to wait a few months to be posted, sorry. MrBoyle, Brian1, and others should have some decent pics and footage. Where are you Brian?

My Moab story:
Full Day 1: Top of the World, trailboss. Ran it with Climbnaked2 and Mike Boyle. We ran the top loop clockwise, making the trail about a 3. There where a few obstacles that I had to go bonsai on, but mostly a good safe challenge. There was one hill that I had to conquer at redline to make it up, about 150 feet of steep loose sand. I bet you could've seen that cloud for miles!

Day 2: Bartlett overlook, Dellenbaugh tunnel, rainbow terrace: trailboss. Gemini Bridges: James.
"My" trails were fun. We got some high-speed desert running, ledges, and slickrock to play on. There were a few toughies, but nothing Splat couldn't handle. Thanks guys for putting up with my dust!
Gemini Bridges was fun. We got a pic of 4 trucks: Splat, Brian1, and 2xClimbnaked on the large arch. Great pic. Going back to the trail, Splat hit all the hard ledges without any problems. Just so you know, Splat can go up a 4.5' ledge with a slight incline, and a 2' sheer ledge!

That night I did baby Lion's Back. There was a lot of swearing going up, as I was truly scared, but all in all it wasn't a problem and was fun. Too bad there wasn't lesbian karaoke at dinner :(

Day 3: Chicken Corners. Thanks everyone for putting up with the 2wd. I think I did ok ;) I took most of the hard lines, and even went up a tippy hill that put me past 40 degrees, twice. I almost rolled it! All in all a fun run. A bit boring and too dusty at times, but a good last day.

Carnage: a few scratches, a fuse or 2, dust everywhere, and a tweaked front shock. My Gabriels were very good, but are too short and my front passenger one is slightly bent. Time for either 2" lift gabriels (have to investigate) or James Duff's. Also, an addaleaf is planned and a 1/4" more TT in the front. Black steel rims and 32x11.5 BFGs. Should be on by the end of summer.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now! Thanks to the Texas crew for highway and KOA company, and support!

The duff 70/30'2 ride nice but they do not have a very long travel. I would advise against them with any sort of a lift, the are limiting my travel big time....However I really do love the ride withthe Duff 3" VR coils and the 70/30 shocks....too bad they dont make a 6" shock and a 6" coil.....oh well I guess I'll just have to have National Spring make me some VR 6" coils.....and run Rancho 9000's or those new Pro Comp adjustables...Hey wanna buy 4 slightly used Duff 70/30 shocks? About 10K miles on them....right rear is a little rusty in spots...

Re: I'm settled!

Originally posted by Alec

That night I did baby Lion's Back. There was a lot of swearing going up, as I was truly scared, but all in all it wasn't a problem and was fun.

Alec, it's good to hear you got to do "Baby Lion's Back" I know you really wanted to do it last year, but just didn't have the @%$*& to do it. :p

You just can't tell people how much traction you can get on those rocks.
My folks were looking forward to doing some trails with you, but as you might know by now I ended up with back surgery Friday. By the way what kind of a doc are you going to be? Sorry I couldn't wait until you graduate.
:D

I haven't called them yet, but I was assuming I'd get the 3" lift shocks. I'm gonna have about 2.5" of lift, figured it would be good. I shot an email to Gabriel to see what they have.

Perry, good to hear from you. Sorry I didn't get to see you and yours. I'll let you know about my specialty in 4 years ;)

Hey Alec my parents have a house in Gavleston....It's some historical landmark, used to abe a corner store and now it's just a yellow house. I guess it survived the "big one" so it's got a plaque on the wall. I dont know the details I haven't had a chance to go down there yet.

What I'm saying about the Duff shocks is that even with a 2"lift they seem to be too short, I wouldnt use them again if I could go back.... Not too happy with Duff's stuff except for the bumpers and drop brackets.

I have my Moab 2002 Album up but not very meny.

Dead Link Removed

Re: I'm settled!

Originally posted by Alec
Brian1, and others should have some decent pics and footage. Where are you Brian?

Im here! Got my pics today but I need to make a thumbnail page for them. I myself hate lists with no preview or else they would already be up. I have some good video of Alec as well as some others. That will be up after I get the pics done.

Originally posted by go off road
I have my Moab 2002 Album up but not very meny.

Dead Link Removed

I have to ask, why?

"What's for lunch?"

Attachments

• p6020045.jpg
    p6020045.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 311

Ray glad to hear you made it ok. As for helping you out - anytime - that is the reason we go with such a great group.

I think my Sport Trac needs an alignment now.
Really??? I can't imagine why.

There was a lot of swearing going up
Almost an understatement. It was entertaining though.

What a blast... When are we going back?

Originally posted by offroadkc
What a blast... When are we going back?

Lemme get an alignment and I'm ready to go :bounce:

Originally posted by TwoToneX

Lemme get an alignment and I'm ready to go :bounce:

Kevin, Just keep him away from the edges this time. Jared is too young to get more gray hair. :eek:

Hell, if you think you're gettin me anywhere near that close to the edge again, you're gravely mistaken :eek: :D

BTW, where are your pics John?

Originally posted by TwoToneX
BTW, where are your pics John?

Yeah, yeah. I just finished last night editing pictures getting rid of license plate numbers. Then I kicked off my upload to the internet batch file.
Between my wife, my daughter and me and 4 days in Moab, we took 744 pictures.
I plan on building webpages for each trail that we took featuring pictures that I consider interesting.
But for those of you that want to access my picture archive and have fast internet access, here's the links:

2002/05/30 - 232 photos - 7 Mile Rim Trail and Wipeout Hill

2002/05/31 - 309 photos - Elephant Hill Run

2002/06/01 - 101 photos - Fins and Things, Parking lot at beginning of Poison Spider Mesa, Fins and Things revisited, and Dump Bump(my feeble attempt)

2002/06/02 - 102 photos - Top of the World and Gemini Bridges

Here's a good shot of Kevin standing close to the edge and Jared starting to crawl to the edge.

Moab Trivia: Who can name these legs???? And what trail are they on???

I'll have to leave work now, but I'll post some other stuff later tonight.

im gonna guess that the one on the right is a female and the one on the left is a male.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bet that is Rick and Char...

Back