Bad transfer case?

TPL

Reaction score
City, State
Nurmijärvi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995, Explorer, XL
Greetings,

Yesterday my 1995 Explorer started to make rattling sound. We lifted the rear end off the ground and even by turning the wheels by hand, the noise is pretty obvious.

It seems to be coming from transfer case. Also, when selecting 4x4 Auto or 4x4 Low, there is no more that small clunk sound even though relays are clicking inside and indicators are showing correctly what is selected.

Here's a short clip. Don't mind the video quality, audio will tell you what I'm talking about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m not surprised a 95 control trac t case has failed, I am surprised it has lasted this long!

Drain fluid and check for any small bits of white plastic the nylon guides fail over time leaving you without torque on demand all wheel drive (control trac)

You have a couple of options now, being a 95 makes things a bit more simple. Basically you can bolt in a non control trac t case from a older explorer or ranger (bw 1354)

that dont sound good! hesrd one like that before. couple o' options: swap another 4405 in, or go 1354. surprisingly, my 4405 has lasted me 330k, original, not sure why? still on original sohc and 5r too... again, nit sure why. I still see decent dead amount of tcases at the yard, so probably the 1354 is best bet... or, if youre ao inclined... ATLAS!!!!!

Thanks guys for your replies.

Since I live on the wrong side of the pond these contraptions are extremely difficult to find. You guys over there have it really good with all those beautiful scrapyards with tons of usable parts.

I'm going to get the transfer case out and see what'g going on in it. If it's not a total destruction I'm going to try to fix it with repair kits. They are way much cheaper to ship from US than entire transfer case. If that doesn't work then I'll have to put my hand deeper in to my pocket and get another transfer case. I like this car too much to let it go that easy.

FYI you can use any control trac t case from 95-01 to fix yours but you must retain the back half of yours because it contains the vehicle speed sensor

I have revived many 95-97 trucks this way
Find a good working t case swap your back half onto it = back on road

FYI you can use any control trac t case from 95-01 to fix yours but you must retain the back half of yours because it contains the vehicle speed sensor

I have revived many 95-97 trucks this way
Find a good working t case swap your back half onto it = back on road
Thanks for the info.
I've found this thread extremely useful: The Borg Warner 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary

Tomorrow we are going to try to get the transfer case out and see what's going on in it. The strange thing is, it still works with D and R - with lots of rattle when moving. No 4x4 though...

I'll post some info when we do the autopsy...

Took us over a month to find time to get that thing opened up but today we were able to see what's going on inside that contraption.

After a quick inspection there are some issues for sure. The noise was coming from rear output bearing. I think it's properly destroyed.

One of the nylon pads at shift fork was found at bottom of the TC. The disc is in good condition.

Oil pump hose is completely broken off. I may end up getting a new pump.

The tiny pin at the end of the electric shift cam is broken and the whole rod is slightly bent. No idea what happened there but it's gone. Regarding this I ask you guys on the other side of the pond, where should I look for this item? And I mean the whole thing with rod and helical part. I'm pretty sure those are practically impossible to find here in Europe so I have to order it from USA.

Other than those issues things seem to be in pretty good shape. All gears and whatnot are doing fine, no missing or damaged teeth at all.

To have a closer look I'll have to clean the inside of the TC and all the parts because the oil was pretty nasty. On the positive side, no metal shavings what so ever.

I bet I can get you those parts.
I can take apart a control trac case, get the parts you need and prepare them to ship?
Is it possible to send pictures of the bits and pieces you need?
in the meantime I will locate a good control trac t case we can use for parts, normally I just scrap these

I bet I can get you those parts.
I can take apart a control trac case, get the parts you need and prepare them to ship?
Is it possible to send pictures of the bits and pieces you need?
in the meantime I will locate a good control trac t case we can use for parts, normally I just scrap these

You would do that? Wow, that would be great!

We are going to visit a nearby transmission shop tomorrow. They may or may not have what we need. My guess is, they don't.

I'll let you know as soon as we have visited the shop.

Instead of scrapping them you should figure out a way to sell those TCs to us Europeans. You would be a millionare in no time... :cool:

Instead of scrapping them you should figure out a way to sell those TCs to us Europeans. You would be a millionare in no time... :cool:
we shoyld export 1354m's to you guys ;)

do thsee companies not ship to you guys? i swear i saw tons of rebuild kits etc

we shoyld export 1354m's to you guys ;)

do thsee companies not ship to you guys? i swear i saw tons of rebuild kits etc

Some companies do, some don't.

There are lots of repair kits that have all the bearings, seals and other stuff to service the transfer case. But the complete electrical shift cam... noooo. At the moment that's the most critical part to get the TC back in business.

Here's a picture of the X when she was still running strong. This is from a fuel price demonstration/fed up we attended in February in Helsinki. I'm the funny looking guy with beard. Next to me is our youngest son and behind us are our oldest son and her girlfriend with their Focus.

Ford_Torvi4_2.jpg

Here's a picture of the X when she was still running strong. This is from a fuel price demonstration/fed up we attended in February in Helsinki. I'm the funny looking guy with beard. Next to me is our youngest son and behind us are our oldest son and her girlfriend with their Focus.

View attachment 431589
nice matte paint! reminds me of @DemonMudder deathrow color! just no stripe on yours

Dad gum, it is similar! Headlights are a neat touch!!

20220308_084620.jpg

Those little white pads are just a dollar or two.
But carefully examine the two holes in the case halves for elongation/wallowing. Have a competent machinist put bronze bushings in. That's critical for reliability/longevity.
Next, the fork the pads go on, get a SONNAX upgraded roller kit for that, this is really important as well, and when upgraded the roller gets full engagement in the worm cam. Speaking of, replacing the cam is not a bad plan.

Change fluid regularly.
Best Wishes,
Doc

Back