Bad Vibration!

Gatekeeper

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 2wd Eplorer XLT 5.0
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 2wd 5.0

I have a very bad vibration from 50mph+. The shake can be felt in the steering wheel but really its shaking the whole truck. I had the tires balanced the alignment isnt off much. I replaced the front u-joint on the drive shaft thinking it was worn but the drive shaft still moves up and down quite a bit between the splined slip yoke and the transmission. Could this be the issue? How much play is allowed? Also, when shifting into gears in gives a kick... Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your driveshaft issue could certainly give you vibrations, no doubt about that at all. There should not be any up/down/side to side movement evident thru the slip yoke when it is installed on the transmission output shaft.
Are the vibrations any different now than before you changed the u-joints?

Your driveshaft issue could certainly give you vibrations, no doubt about that at all. There should not be any up/down/side to side movement evident thru the slip yoke when it is installed on the transmission output shaft.
Are the vibrations any different now than before you changed the u-joints?

It makes the same vibration. Maybe a tad worse. The U-joint is holding the driveshaft to yoke solid but the yoke to transmission has alot of play...

It makes the same vibration. Maybe a tad worse. The U-joint is holding the driveshaft to yoke solid but the yoke to transmission has alot of play...

I would say that your problem is internal to the transmission and that is where your getting your vibration from. There should not be any play on that splined output shaft in the transmission and that would definately give some serious vibrations.

I would say that your problem is internal to the transmission and that is where your getting your vibration from. There should not be any play on that splined output shaft in the transmission and that would definately give some serious vibrations.

You dont think the spines are worn out on either end? Shes a pretty serious tranny to replace or fix even. How could I narrow it down to find my problem? Do you know of any pages with a break down of the stock transmission

You dont think the spines are worn out on either end? Shes a pretty serious tranny to replace or fix even. How could I narrow it down to find my problem? Do you know of any pages with a break down of the stock transmission

There isnt anything to wear out the splines. The splines are just a way to get a good connection between the yoke and the output shaft, yet allow for a little movement of the yoke on the shaft. The movement would only be in and out and not rotational. Wellll, it rotates as a unit but it should be solid and have zero play.
When the rear suspension cycles up and down, such as when going over bumps and whatnot, the driveshaft has to slip in and out on that shaft, but that will not create any wear that would present itself as an up and down/side-to-side slop. I think your problem is the internal bearing that holds the output shaft.

I do not have a diagram or drawing of the internals of the tranny, sorry.

I don't know what your intentions are with your truck, but i took the liberty of searching for a 2 wheel drive 4R70W that would fit your truck, and is located in Arizona.
Riteway Auto Parts in Phoenix and Motor Pro in Gilbert both have one that have a one year warranty available for $400.
Just throwing this info out there, it may be cheaper to have that bearing replaced in your transmission if you could do it or if you know someone that could do it for you.

Hey thanks for takin some time out, ill look into it and let you know the outcome

There isnt anything to wear out the splines. The splines are just a way to get a good connection between the yoke and the output shaft, yet allow for a little movement of the yoke on the shaft. The movement would only be in and out and not rotational. Wellll, it rotates as a unit but it should be solid and have zero play.
When the rear suspension cycles up and down, such as when going over bumps and whatnot, the driveshaft has to slip in and out on that shaft, but that will not create any wear that would present itself as an up and down/side-to-side slop. I think your problem is the internal bearing that holds the output shaft.

I do not have a diagram or drawing of the internals of the tranny, sorry.

I don't know what your intentions are with your truck, but i took the liberty of searching for a 2 wheel drive 4R70W that would fit your truck, and is located in Arizona.
Riteway Auto Parts in Phoenix and Motor Pro in Gilbert both have one that have a one year warranty available for $400.
Just throwing this info out there, it may be cheaper to have that bearing replaced in your transmission if you could do it or if you know someone that could do it for you.

Ok so its about 3am and I think I may have found the problem! Ive been reading and reading and this looks like an output shaft bearing (front or rear im not sure) WHat do you think?

Ok so its about 3am and I think I may have found the problem! Ive been reading and reading and this looks like an output shaft bearing (front or rear im not sure) WHat do you think?

I would tend to agree with you. :D

Back