Bad wear on front after alignment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad wear on front after alignment

When I got my new Explorer (92 4x4) I had f-150 spacers and warrior shackles put on. It took a couple of weeks to get into the allignment shop, maybe 1000 miles or so. At that time the tires (Goodyear Wrangler HT) were almost brand new, and the affects of the positive camber had not started to take place on the tires. I had an allignment done at Sears, where they put in the largest degree bushing they had, and I was told that it was within the specs. Now about a month after the allignment I have noticed pretty bad cupping on the outside of the front left tire also on the outside of the front right tire, but not as bad. I took it back to Sears today and again they said it was in spec and just advised that I rotate my tires. Now this is my second Explorer and my dad has one and I have never seen a tire wear this fast. Tire pressure is good, definitely not under. I have a few months to figure this out before the new 31s are put on, but I don't want them to wear like this, what am I missing, should I get a second opinion on the allignment, was something drastically changed by the spacers other than the camber that cannot be fixed. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Did Sears show you a print out of the allignment specs? If not go back and ask to see it. It will tell you if you are in specs or not. what degree camber bushings did they put in? when I put in my coil spacers the allignmnet shop put in the largest degree bushing in and it would come close to specs but not within specs. To get it within spec I had to go and buy the Super Lift 3 degree camber bushings. It alligned perfect with those in. I would get the 3 degree Super Lift bushings and see if that helps any.

Take it somewhere else before it is too late. I would try to look for a shop that specializes in suspension stuff. From my experience they are the best at this.
I had a pair of $700 tires ruined on my old Toyota truck because a place called Lyles Wheels and Tires in Omaha, NE couldnt get it right even after the second time.

Chris

"in spec" doesn't mean a thing. One wheel could be off to the left the max amount and the other off to the right the max and Sears would say they are within spec. Go to someone who understands alignment and tell them you want it aligned properly. Every tire is different, and only the ones that came with the truck will wear well if the alignment is set to original specs. Worn suspension components or even softened torsion bar will require custom alignment, as will your modified suspension.

When I went to 31s, I had an alignment done at Les Schwab (northwest dealer). It took them over 6 hours, but I have had no wear in 42k miles, and it isn't even close to the factory numbers.

Don't give up.

spec don't mean jack! I am always told mine are within "spec" but even just eyeballing them they are way off. Honestly I would take it to another shop and see if they can help you. I would also rotate the tires before the get to much worse. Limit that wear on them now while you can.

Back