• Register Today It's free!

Ball Joints Help me please

Mike Halfway

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
I started on the upper and lower ball joints today (91 sport 4x4). I rented the ball joint press and so far I have everything off. I managed to get the top one loose by using the press. but the manuel says to bang the lower ball joint loose with a hammer. I have been banging away for a while and it wont seem to budge.!!!!!!! Im getting a little frustrated.....Any Ideas Would help!!!!!!!!!!!I, do work and go to school so I need my truck back in working condition...........Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a retaining clip on the top side of the lower balljoint. You must take that off before you can bang the lower balljoint out of the lower A-arm. If you look at the new ball joint, you will find that it has a grove at the top. You will need a pair of retaining ring plyers to remove the ring.

After doing that, you will still need a BFH - at least a 3 lb hand sledge - to hammer it off. Don't be a wimp: you have to hit that thing hard to get it to let loose.

Guys, he's got a 91....

Mike, you can also use the press on the lower balljoint just like the upper one. Make sure you install them in the reverse order so the press can pass through the upper hole.

Ack!

Oops.... never mind :D I haven't done it on an early model so I don't know... d@m#, I'm posting like a newbie without reading the directions, LOL, and it's only January. Now I gotta last all year until I make my next mistake :p

if the retaining clips are out rent and air hammer and a good set of ear plugs and buzz the **** out of them make sure you use a ton of penetrating oil

Back