• Register Today It's free!

Bamachips

Yeeehaw86

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLS
I'm looking to buy a chip, and went to bamachips.com but couldn't actually find any chips. Am I missing something, or do you just have to email them to get one? Also, does anyone have any experience with both the Jet and Bamachips? I would like to know which would be better. Jet advertises a possible 15hp increase. I didn't really think that was worth $250. I assume that the Bamachips one gives a little more power or something because a lot of people on the forum use them. Please let me know if I'm wrong, and any opinions would be great. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doug at Bamachips sells an SCT X-Calibrator. Basically, insead of being a chip which plugs into the ECU and physically stays there, it reflashes the memory in the ECU with the new tune, so that it's there even after the tuner is removed.

When you buy an X-Calibrator from Doug, it comes loaded with 3 tunes for your truck, and the X-Calibrator itself has some adjustments you can make. (not sure on details since I don't yet own one).

Based on reviews from members who own one, and have dealt with Doug, this is your best bet. Doug tunes all sorts of stuff, such as transmission behavior (shift points and firmness), as well as the normal HP boosting stuff.

Plus, Doug can make a custom tune for your truck, with any bolt-on mods you have, and provide MUCH better performance than the "one size fits all" chip.

It's definitely the way I'm gonna go, when I can scrape the money together.

I've got the BamaChips programmer for my Mountaineer and it is probably the best investment I've made in terms of mods. It has 3 different programs; in my case it has two premium fuel tunes, one for torque and one for high-RPM performance, and an 87 octane tune that still increases performance and shift firmness on regular unleaded.

The XCalibrator 2 unit is very easy to use and works well. I highly recommend BamaChips.

Thanks to everyone that replied. Your input is appreciated!

Ive purchased a SCT Tuner used and shipped it to doug to get it tuned. I LOVE it, I got the 93 torque tune and its awsome. I would just email him and tell him what you arelooking for, he is usually very quick to reply

Tuner cost ?

Hi,
I have a 98 5.op engine. What should I be sexpecting as far as cost?

How much of an improvement does one see with one of these Bamchips? I mean for $400 one should be able to get at least a few more mpg. I only use 87 octane and really have no plans on spending more money on higher octane gas. What octane do you guys use and how much of an improvement in fuel mileage would you say you get from using this flash?

How much of an improvement does one see with one of these Bamchips? I mean for $400 one should be able to get at least a few more mpg. I only use 87 octane and really have no plans on spending more money on higher octane gas. What octane do you guys use and how much of an improvement in fuel mileage would you say you get from using this flash?

let me tell you something, after one week of use, mine sport trac was from 30,4 litters x 100 kms to 24 litters x 100 kms, its 21% less.. the response ist wonderfull, with the gps i check the speed in 222 km x hour at 4200 rpm, i use the 95 racing program from bamachips, and its the best 400 dollars i was spent in years.. , the 20" wheels are nice, but the xcalibrator ...its the maximun...( thanks Doug)

sorry about my english.
Bix.

Does anyone out there have an X similar to mine with a Bamachips Xcalibrator tune on it? I'm looking for feedback.

Have the XCal-II in use since summer with my 2006 V8 Eddie. Together with the KKM intake it´s the best I´ve ever spent any money for ( except the chip for my Volvo ;) ). Shifting is firmer in every tune, throttleresponse is much better, average mileage is the same ( but not my drive :D ). For about 400 bucks you get a lot : not only 3 fix tunes, you get the ways to modify idle, max rpm, speedlimit, ignition, tiresize and DTC readout / delete.

The best is that you don´t need to open any manufaturer´s seals like with other chiptunes that causes loss of warranty because of opening the EEC.

Does anyone out there have an X similar to mine with a Bamachips Xcalibrator tune on it? I'm looking for feedback.

'99 Eddie Bauer here with the 5.0 and AWD. Night and day improvement over stock. I found the stock programming to be real "soccer-momish" and far from it now with Bama tunes. The guy who installed my exhaust days after I got the Eddie commented that the shift points kind of sucked at stock. While he hasn't driven it since I got custom tuned wouldn't be saying that now.

Highly recommended mod. :thumbsup:

Back