• Register Today It's free!

Band Adjustment - 3rd Gear

cjvervaet

Reaction score
City, State
Howell, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 07 Mountaineer 194K miles and the 5R55S transmission. I adjusted the bands today and I'm getting P0745 pressure Control Solenoid "A" and P0733 Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio. It revs super high when shifting into 3rd now.

I adjusted the bands because I had a new torque converter installed, I installed a new solenoid pack and valve body a week ago as well as new fluid and a filter. After getting the truck back last Thursday with the torque converter installed, it ran pretty darn good, but it was obvious there was still a lingering issue.

Today I tried to install a servo kit from AJ1E click here but I couldn't get the snap rings off.

I decided to adjust the bands and made it worse. I torqued both the IM and OD bolts down to 10 foot pounds and backed each off 2 full turns and tightened the lock bolts.

I'm getting the codes I stated above and the high rev when going from 2nd to 3rd. Maybe the band is shot, or the servo is now really angry and needs to be changed?

Any suggestions would be helpful. My original post was here when all this started about 2 weeks ago.

I really was looking forward to a response to this question...

I'm shocked that nobody has replied, considering how active this forum is.

The bands were cooked and I ended up getting a new transmission.

My experience here for the past 20 years regarding the 5R55 transmissions is they nearly always end up needing replaced. Throwing parts at one hoping to fix it is pretty much a fool's errand. This is why you don't see a lot of replies on repairing them. There are just a few people here that really know the 5R55 transmissions and most times they recommend going the rebuilt/remanufactured route.

Back