• Register Today It's free!

bass blocker question

Ben97X

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 5.0
Two quick questions regarding bass blockers. I have heard they are very beneficial, and can make your whole system sound a lot better. I noticed my door speakers distort a bit when they are turned up very loud. How hard are they to install? Also, what size do I need? I know they range from 150hz to 1.2 Khz. Any recommendations?

These are my speaker's specs if it helps:

Pioneer ts-a6880r
» 3/8" PET silver film dome supertweeter
» 5/8" PET silver film dome tweeter
» 1-5/8" balanced dome PPC (Pearl PolyCarbon) midrange
» Aramid fiber reinforced IMPP woofer with durable rubber surround
» frequency response 30-30,000 Hz
» recommended power range 2-50 watts RMS
» peak power handling 240 watts
» sensitivity 91 dB
» top-mount depth 2-7/16"
» 1-year warranty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bass blockers can help, but usually distortion means the speakers aren't getting enough power, or they're getting the distortion from the amp thats pushing them. If those speakers are hooked up to the factory receiver or amp, they're probably distorting because of that. Factory amps and receivers have something like 10% THD, compared with 1% or even 0.1% for aftermarket units.

Bass blockers might help some, but they'll mostly just be masking the distortion. Getting 150Hz or higher bass blockers will also kill any bass in your system at all, unless theres a subwoofer. If you don't have a subwoofer and the bass is what's distorted, make sure the bass setting isn't cranked up on the radio. If you must get bass blockers, I'd say something like 50-80Hz is what you want, maybe 80-100Hz if theres a subwoofer. Depending on the cost, you might want to just get an aftermarket head unit. You can get a nice Pioneer unit for $99 that will push those speakers no problem, and have very little distortion even when cranked up.

I put in in-line bass blockers on my Boston Acoustic S35's to keep the small woofer from blowing too easy when I crank it. I made up for it with my rear speakers. FYI, the S35 are 3.5" speakers, that's why I did it. I have almost no bass in my front speakers. Just the way I wanted it =)

Good luck with it bud!

- Brandon

Sorry, I should have put this in the first post.

I do have an aftermarket head unit and a set of subs in the back. I believe everything was bypassed when the new door speakers and headunit was installed. So now knowing this, will the blockers help?

I have a hard time believing that the 4-way Pioneers are distorting if they are hooked up to the head unit, and the bass setting isn't cranked or some "X-bass" setting isn't on. If you mean they're distorting when playing bass CD's, then yeah, they'll do that since they can't reproduce low end bass.

Depending on the model of head unit you have, there may be a crossover setting to high-pass the speaker signal, if so, just use that and set it at whatever the low-pass crossover for the sub amp is set at, say 80Hz or so.

If theres no such crossover option, the speakers are just running off the head unit, the amp is just driving the subs, and you are positive you are getting distortion from just the speakers, then sure, you may want to try some bass blockers. They simply install in-line on the positive speaker wire. I'd suggest getting 80Hz ones, since most fixed sub amp crossovers are 80Hz, so all the low bass will go to the subs.

Bass blockers would be a great idea. A 150 hz would be fine even if your subs are crossed over at 80hz. This is because the slope of the bass blockers is usually around 6db an octave not like the 12 or 18 or even 24 db that your subs are at. As for installation it is very easy. It goes inline on the postive speaker lead. Most people put them on the postive speaker terminal and hook the speaker lead to it.
Just a note, when you go to buy them make sure you are looking at the 4ohm rating. Because they are usually rated for both 4ohm & 8ohm. What I mean is the same bass blocker will give you say 150hz on a 4ohm speaker and 300hz on an 8ohm speaker.

Bass blockers would be a great idea. A 150 hz would be fine even if your subs are crossed over at 80hz. This is because the slope of the bass blockers is usually around 6db an octave not like the 12 or 18 or even 24 db that your subs are at. As for installation it is very easy. It goes inline on the postive speaker lead. Most people put them on the postive speaker terminal and hook the speaker lead to it.
Just a note, when you go to buy them make sure you are looking at the 4ohm rating. Because they are usually rated for both 4ohm & 8ohm. What I mean is the same bass blocker will give you say 150hz on a 4ohm speaker and 300hz on an 8ohm speaker.

great information there! thanks alot everyone I think I will go to best buy today after work and pick up a set. Any recommendations on brands, or will any name brand do the exact same thing?

As far as a know there aren't many "name" brands. Best Buy will probably only have 1 brand.

You can use a certain type of capacitor, instead of paying for the high dollar PAC brand, if that is what you are looking at for bass blockers.

I am not sure on what type, or what value to use for a specfic frequency though :scratch:

thanks again for the info guys! i went to best buy and the first salesman had no idea what i was talking about, so i went to the install department. They wanted 25$ for a set, so i decided to go on ebay. I actually found a set of 4 shipped for 11$. They are 4ohm and 300hz. This was the recommended value for the size speakers I have. Hopefully they will be here soon so I can install them

Back