Bass Blockers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bass Blockers

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
While perusing the www.crutchfield.com web site, I came across something called a BASS BLOCKER >>If you like it loud, protect your speakers from bass distortion and enjoy cleaner sound with Bass Blockers. <<.

Anyone use these devices? Comments?

Thanks in advance....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've picked up a set from circuit city, and they worked fine, no complaints...I'd use em again, but, I prefer cutting off Hz to speakers via crosovers
Pete

I've never used them but basically they are an in-line high pass crossover which stops the speaker from playing frequencies below a certain Hz (usually around 100 Hz).

Steve

Originally posted by mrsteve
I've never used them but basically they are an in-line high pass crossover which stops the speaker from playing frequencies below a certain Hz (usually around 100 Hz).

Steve

Are they useful in any system? If not, where are they used?

Thanks...

they will prevent a speaker from playing to low causing an audible distortion or possibly blowing the speaker. but you wont get that hard hitting bass anymore either

ive used them before. very easy to install and they work well for the money. of course Crutchfield charges double for them. i no longer use them since i have X-overs.

It's a large inline uh....resistor type thing that you attach to your highs to block out low freq's. They work on any speaker, just wire it in.

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
It's a large inline uh....resistor type thing that you attach to your highs to block out low freq's. They work on any speaker, just wire it in.

not to be critical or anything but it is actually a filter capacitor :)

you really dont need them unless you have subs, It allows you to have just the subs play the lows, and the speakers play the mids/highs. If you use them without subs, you'll loose all the low frequencys, which is usually where the beat comes from.

Also, some head units come with their own high pass filter. mine did and i just use that.

good luck,
Jeff aka Lamah

Ya, that's what I meant Tac....couldn't remember.

my head unit has a 120 and 80 hz high and low pass filters.

You should be able to get those Bass Blockers anywhere besides Crutchfield. I think Best Buy, Circuit City, and Radio Shack also carry them. Of course, if you wanted, you could make your own as well for about dollar by doing some math, and going to Radio Shack for some inductors and capacitors to make your own passive crossovers too.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/passxovr.htm

They work well and I'm using the right now. they are defonately worth the few dollars they cost. They are a better bang for the buck then installing a crossover. I have mine set up so that all four door speakers,with "bass blockers", are rinning off the outs for the front speakers and then since my deck has only one set of preouts ,rear preouts, I have my amp hooked to them. So by fading it to the rear I have sub control. I works really well and with one 10" sub in a tube and infinity kappas in the doors with no distorsion in the front speakers due to the bass blockers it hits hard. RobbieJ

heh, fading isnt the best way to control the bass

It works and it fits my collage budget......free....and It pounds. The best was to control the bass is with the bass control. This is my sub control. he he

Originally posted by Lamah
you really dont need them unless you have subs, It allows you to have just the subs play the lows, and the speakers play the mids/highs. If you use them without subs, you'll loose all the low frequencys, which is usually where the beat comes from.

Also, some head units come with their own high pass filter. mine did and i just use that.

good luck,
Jeff aka Lamah

thats what i would have said. i THINK my explorer came with them or something cause i never get bass from the door speakers. all my bass either came from the factory sub or my jl's. i recommend them if you have subs because you won't really hear if you are shreading your speakers apart and also its clearer.

i use these all the time. we use them on almost every radio we install at best buy. the sound difference is great if you get the right pair. all you are doing is just blocking the bass that the speaker can not reproduce anyways.

Back