Battery Light on a 92 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Light on a 92 Ford Explorer

jwallach2008

Reaction score
City, State
Pampa, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
ok first of all, i have a few minor problems with my suv, but there is only one i am worried about right now.... whenever i am driving at about 20-25 mph as i accelerate the battery light comes on and the battery guage lowers to almost the the lesser charge. When i take my foot off the gas pedal it goes off and the needle goes back to normal. as i accelerate up to 40 mph the light is on as before and the needle goes back down and letting off the gas the light stays on and the needle stays down. could it possibly be the alternator or is the diode causing a malfunction?

Welcome to this forum? There are few things that you should check. I would suggest that you start with checking your voltage with a multimeter, clean your battery terminals, and make sure that your plug going onto the voltage regulator has no cracks, or corrosion. How old is your battery, and alternator?

Sounds like your tensioner is bad...and you belt is slipping when you hit the gas?

See my post. Same problem.

Back