• Register Today It's free!

Battery questions

green28

Reaction score
City, State
NW IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
So we've only had the Moutaineer for about two weeks, and the wife went out this morning and battery was dead. I didn't have much time to mess with it, just had her take another vehicle. She has a charger spliter and had a phone charger and the kids DVD player plugged into the charging spot down by the passenger footwell. Does that suck power overnight? I noticed the little lights were on the chargers this morning. Also it was cold so it could just be a weak battery.

So question two is what size battery do I need to get. Gonna run out after work and pick one up, any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Every thing you have pluged in is pulling power in addition to what the vehicle uses for memory. Most good to better batteries are rated at 5-7 years (60-84 months). You should have a size 65 battery, they come in sizes according to engine/vehicle requirements, where the terminals and space available. I would get a name brand & 84 month, which has a higher cranking Amps. Take your old battery with you, that way you will not be charged for the core return. Thats about $ 15.00. I hope this helps you out.

Think that answers my questions. I'll run out and grab a new battery in that size after work. I'll also have her unplug that stuff while the SUV is shut off. Thanks.

How did you make out with the battery replace.

Pretty simple and it did the trick. The old battery was over 6 years old so I'm glad I just switched it while it was dead at home instead of jumping it and having it die again somewhere else. Went with an 8 year Duralast Gold with 850 CCA and 1000 CA.

Back