Battery Replaced at 19 Months/19K Miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Replaced at 19 Months/19K Miles

hbalek

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Yesterday at a red light, the Auto Start/Stop cut off my engine with AC and radio running. In a couple minutes instead of the engine restarting (it was a 95 degree hot/humid day) I lost all electrical power. The engine would not restart and could not even flash the hazards! I opened the hood, a cop came and jumped it for me. I drove straight to the dealer. They tested the battery and electrical system. They determined it was a bad battery cell and replaced the battery free of charge. I was told their batteries have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. In 36 years of driving, this is my first time that a battery didn't even make it 2 years. Usually I've replaced batteries about every 3-5 years. How's everyone else doing with their original battery?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is still fine. But a battery can fail at any time and they often do.

These seem to be extra hard on batteries, and they fail much more short term in these vehicles. Lots of stories about people getting replacement batteries, and having them fail in the warranty period.

Original batteries are covered by the b2b. So 3yr/36k. Purchased batteries are prorated but covered longer (6-7 years depending on what you buy typically).

Yesterday at a red light, the Auto Start/Stop cut off my engine with AC and radio running. In a couple minutes instead of the engine restarting (it was a 95 degree hot/humid day) I lost all electrical power. The engine would not restart and could not even flash the hazards! I opened the hood, a cop came and jumped it for me. I drove straight to the dealer. They tested the battery and electrical system. They determined it was a bad battery cell and replaced the battery free of charge. I was told their batteries have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. In 36 years of driving, this is my first time that a battery didn't even make it 2 years. Usually I've replaced batteries about every 3-5 years. How's everyone else doing with their original battery?
Compared to a few of the 5th gen posts, you did well to get 19 months out of it. ;)

Peter

My original battery went bad after 1.5 years (about 20k miles). Dealer replaced under warranty, and did a horrible job doing such.

Apologies in advance for reviving an old thread and for potentially missing something in my search(es) [Peter, I tried :) ].

With the cold weather knocking on our doors in the North East, I would like to replace my battery.

We have a 2020 ST and last year on two separate occasions about 3-4 weeks apart when the temps were in the negatives, it would not start. Once boosted though all went well.

Our neighbor has a 1970's F250 and has an Optima battery in it and has had absolutely zero issues starting it up. I'm not sure if it's a Red Top or Yellow Top. Optima does have a Yellow Top [model DH6] which would be a fit for the Explorers.

But before I go that route, I was wondering as to which battery people have replaced the original OEM with and what their experiences have been.

Thank you in advance,

Jay

Good question. Ours is about due for a replacement.

I personally would just get an H6 AGM one like the stock one. I replace mine well before it fails to start. Some clues? Deep sleep notifications. I also keep my radar detector on voltage display and when it is always charging the battery at 14.3-14.6V, I know the battery is probably nearing end of life. (Normally, if the BMS detects the battery is at 80%, the alternator will suspend and voltage will drop to 12.6V or so.) Also, if you have auto-start stop enabled, it will often NOT work because of the low state of charge the battery is in.

I replaced my stock battery after 60k mi ( a little over 3 1/2 years) . Have 20k mi. on the 2nd one (Costco). You can save yourself some cash by swapping out the battery yourself. You just have to remove some of the plastic bits covering it... a minor pain. I used Forscan to reset the BMS for new battery install--you may want to google for other ways.

Apologies in advance for reviving an old thread and for potentially missing something in my search(es) [Peter, I tried :) ].

Jay
🤣

Peter

No personal experience, but have heard recently that Optima isn't as good as they used to be, YMMV.
I recently put a Motorcraft AGM in our Expedition, no complaints other than the cost.
Helped jump a coworker's truck with my Explorer, and replacing the battery definitely doesn't look like a quick & easy job, compared to my wife's Expedition & my '75 MG.

Mine was replaced under warranty with the factory Motorcraft. Fine so far. If your vehicle is still under warranty I would have the dealer check it. I expected to have to buy a new battery after 2.5 years, but it failed dealer test and they replaced it under warranty; no charge.

Back