Battery saver mode after HID install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery saver mode after HID install

slikirish

Reaction score
City, State
Dub Vee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
So today I had HIDs installed in the headlights and fog lights. After that, I've been getting the Battery Saver Mode on the MFT. I have a longer drive tomorrow (roughly 40 miles one way to work) so I'm hoping that will fix it. In the mean time, does anyone know if this is a common problem with a HID install? Is it coincidental? If this the first time anyone has had this issue? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a thread on this topic (battery saver message) although it doesn't mention the HID's as a cause. When you did the installation did you by any chance make a direct connection to the NEGATIVE battery terminal?

BTW, welcome to the Forum slikirish.:wavey:

Peter

There is a thread on this topic (battery saver message) although it doesn't mention the HID's as a cause. When you did the installation did you by any chance make a direct connection to the NEGATIVE battery terminal?

BTW, welcome to the Forum slikirish.:wavey:

Peter

Thank you for the welcome. No I did not. They are plug and play kits that use the existing wiring harness for the lights. No additional power or grounds required.

Thank you for the welcome. No I did not. They are plug and play kits that use the existing wiring harness for the lights. No additional power or grounds required.
I know that the Explorers that come with the factory HID's have a larger battery capacity. 72 amp hours compared to 58 amp hours for the base and XLT.
I received that same message on my 2011 Limited about every 3 - 4 weeks but I believe that was due to the fact that I didn't drive it that much and when I did, there were a lot of very short trips.

Peter

Hm. Just surprising since I'd never seen this before, although I've only owned this thing a week and a half. I'm gonna see if it'll go away. If not, then I'll get a new battery. I'm assuming the "bigger" battery out of the limited should fit in the XLT without a problem.

Hm. Just surprising since I'd never seen this before, although I've only owned this thing a week and a half. I'm gonna see if it'll go away. If not, then I'll get a new battery. I'm assuming the "bigger" battery out of the limited should fit in the XLT without a problem.
If it is just low, the 40 mile trip should fix it up. If not, have the battery checked before replacing it in case it just needs a good charge.

Peter

Also appears I've got a bulb in upside down. The drivers side has beautiful cutoff with wonderful light output. Passenger side has huge dead spots in the light. I'm assuming I've got passenger bulb in with the return wire on top instead of the bottom. Gonna take a look and correct that tomorrow.

The drive seems to have corrected the battery saver mode issue. Reinstalled the one bulb, see if that fixed it tonight.

Got the one light fixed and everything is beautiful. Crappy iPhone 5s pics.

7A36F4AD-CD1F-424C-8F20-DAE54154D20C_zpsph5cuigz.jpg

F42811F5-AEC3-4494-A24C-F831C70F99F4_zpsqkcxb8zd.jpg

Back