Bed removal for fuel pump R&R

wilkrod

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala, fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sportrac
Hi all,
Have to replace the fuel pump on my 2002 Sportrac, and was wondering if it might be easier to just remove the bed, instead of trying to lower the tank from below.
Thanks
Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Removing the bed takes about 20 minutes. Its 4 T-55 torx bolts. You'll need a second person to help you lift it off even though it's only like 150 lbs. Be sure to measure your body gaps at top and bottom on boths sides so you can line it up again. It's really easy and I'd say it would be worth the ease of access. Plus you can check/ clean everything else under the bed while it's off. GL

You CAN NOT change the fuel pump by removing the bed. Nope, won't happen.

Fillerneckhoses.jpg

090606009.jpg

NCranchero,
Obviously you are correct, fuel pump not coming out without droping tank.
Well, I went ahead and pulled the box off anyway, couldn't be easier, and then droped the tank, replaced fuel pump.
I would do it that way again, as I was able to be absolutely sure the pump was bad (resistance/power at pump connector) and it was very easy to disconnect the fuel line fittings from above. Total time start to fire up was about 2 hours.

Thanks to everyone for their input, you folks are great!!
REgards
Jeff

Sorry to lead you wrong. Glad its back on the road!

All good,
Also changed my rear shocks while box was off, took an extra half hour.
Regards
Jeff

Sorry to lead you wrong. Glad its back on the road!
That's the way to do it on every other Ford pickup. WHY they didn't make that crossmember a bolt-in so it could be changed with the bed off is the million dollar question.

All good,
Also changed my rear shocks while box was off, took an extra half hour.
Regards
Jeff

That's a job almost worth removing the bed for ......... so I hear. I replaced mine while the bed was off also!:D

Back