before+after 4"lift | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

before+after 4"lift

before+after 4"lift/now 6"

----*Updated* pics in 2nd page---------
heres my before and after with a 4" tuff country..more pics in projects page..
1975421_3_full.jpg
Before
1975421_11_full.jpg
During
1975421_16_full.jpg
After
:thumbsup: :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DeRocha said:
Looking good... I installed a 4" Skyjacker in July (local lift laws limit and X to 4.5") :thumbdwn:
Anyway here is a pick of my '93 on the left..
182052005_Jamboree_10_group_pic_WEB-med.jpg

hey DeRocha there are specific laws now in mass for exporers. when i lived here before it was just bumper height so we just all lowered some part of the bumper.
cause you said 4.5 wow even i have more than that in my 2wd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

*Update*Ok... I finally got the rear done tonight..took about 2 1/2 hours..looks pretty level..rear only looks a little higher.. not much with the soa w/o the overload and the front lift... I dont think the front was a 4" they are different coils because the factory color for ruff country is gray and they were redish rust...because the front is almost 5".. I will have to measure the rear..also the drive shaft is the correct length...put pinion up 2.5 degrees..no vibration nothing...posting pics tomarrow gota hit the sack.. o yea i had it all tig welded by a friend..looks amazing!!!

davidmmm69 said:
hey DeRocha there are specific laws now in mass for exporers. when i lived here before it was just bumper height so we just all lowered some part of the bumper. cause you said 4.5 wow even i have more than that in my 2wd.
Massachusetts lift law is the formula [Wheel base x track width / 2200 (+1" for variance)] so my calc is about 111.9 x 70.2 / 2200 = 3.57+1 = 4.57"

I had inquired a local sping shop (before getting my welder :D ) about lifting my X with a SOA in the rear.. The mechanic was eager to do the work, but cautioned me that it would exceed the current MA lift law for my vehicle. He was well aware there are people driving around with huge lifts, but indicated law enforcement varied widely from town to town and passing inspection may be dicey. He also mentioned he had to restore a few vehicles back to compliancy due to violations. Anway the 4" Skyjacker kit will keep me leagal and give me a chance to see how it performs both on and off-road.. The kit can be easily converted to 6" by simply getting longer front coils and doing a SOA in the back..

DeRocha said:
Massachusetts lift law is the formula [Wheel base x track width / 2200 (+1" for variance)] so my calc is about 111.9 x 70.2 / 2200 = 3.57+1 = 4.57"

I had inquired a local sping shop (before getting my welder :D ) about lifting my X with a SOA in the rear.. The mechanic was eager to do the work, but cautioned me that it would exceed the current MA lift law for my vehicle. He was well aware there are people driving around with huge lifts, but indicated law enforcement varied widely from town to town and passing inspection may be dicey. He also mentioned he had to restore a few vehicles back to compliancy due to violations. Anway the 4" Skyjacker kit will keep me leagal and give me a chance to see how it performs both on and off-road.. The kit can be easily converted to 6" by simply getting longer front coils and doing a SOA in the back..

I just read the whle law. and it is fuy cause it says many times "4 wheel drive vehicles" I guess that takes me out of the law..Me being 2WD I mean...does not mean my truck.

yea thats this week, my 32's mud rovers on streetlock crawlers,and winter ill have enough for 33" MT/R's.maybe 35's..love the mt/r's!!! the soa was so simple!! the bolts for the springs came out easy..only a little over 2hrs most of the time was me drulling over a friends tig welder and plazma cutter...the guys that helped me all own XJ's and were drulling over the 8.8 rear.

Update on the explorer. I put in some 6" skyjacker coils, raised the real a little more(springs are saging now) cut up the rear (last trail ride found out stock bumpers cant hold all the weight of an explorer) building a bumper now, through on some rs9000x shocks, through out the swaybars, still need to regear to 4.56's or 5.13's and some extended radius arms... i think a locker in the front would help a little- rears mini spooled heres some new pics
1975421_22_full.jpg

1975421_23_full.jpg

1975421_21_full.jpg

I mostly drive it to work and thats 5 minutes away, depends on traffic. lets say that a full tank is good enough for more than 2 weeks.. Its trailered to long distance trail rides.. so im more leaning on 5.13's and keep the front open to keep it alive a little longer..

Thats a good looking Sport..Sandrunner!!!! I am on the hunt for a 1st Gen. Sport to mod to my hearts content!!! :D

Back