• Register Today It's free!

belt squeeling??

transmissionguy

Reaction score
City, State
greentown , Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer xlt
My belt is making a high pitched squeal. I replaced the idler pully but it still does it, what else could make it do this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My power steering pump squeels, but only when there is mositure in the air. And it's definetley is the pump, not the belt, even though it sounds like the belt.

Did you spin each pulley the belt connects to when you took it off? Many times the water pump or power steering will squeal. Try flushing the power steering fluid out and seeing if it will help it out.

You also might want to get some STP belt dresser. I did that on the Taurus and the strange squeal went away. Ask some people about belt dresser before you do it though, I think it's not the greatest stuff to use, but it worked for me.

Check the tensioner, Explorer tensioners are well know for crapping out.

my 92 was squeeling , not loud but it was noticable. i cleaned the engine with simple green and the squeeling went away. who knows.....

Is it a squeeling or a chirping? My truck has an intermittent chirping at start up, and I guess that it proably happens when the humidity is pretty high (thus explaining why I never heard it in Colorado... hmmm)

this is squeeling its loud enough to hear inside the truck with the windows up and radio on very annoying

mine is, i cant get it out of my head. but when the rain, or moisture is gone, so is the squeeling.

Back