Belt Tensioner lol! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Belt Tensioner lol!

LarryT1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
tensioner.jpg

Riding down the highway last night and my belt tensioner decided to..fall apart, heres what it looks like. only 113k miles on the vehicle too..

40 bucks for the tensioner, another 40 for a new belt..and an $85 tow truck ride home I'm back on the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah i would also replace that other pulley on there, i think its called the idler pulley or something. I replaced my tensioner and belt and 6 months later it went. so then i ended up replacing the belt, tensioner pulley, and the other one. Been fine for a year so far.

only 113k miles on the vehicle too..

40 bucks for the tensioner, another 40 for a new belt..and an $85 tow truck ride home I'm back on the road.

That's about the same mileage that mine exploded. About the same cost for the tensioner and the belt. I didn't have to get the tow, but had to get my GF to pick me up from work that evening. ;)

I just replaced mine at 116k. Luckily, I was at the dealership and they noticed the tensioner pulley was starting to separate when they were doing the tranny flush. So I changed it before I needed the tow.

not to mention earlier this week i fixed my idle problem, somehow a bolt came out of the EGR and was leaking..not really sure how that would happen but it did.

edit: yeah ill look into the idler pulley too, imagine it will go soon

Not a bad price. I think I paid around $66 from my local Ford dealer using a "neighbor" discount.

Back