• Register Today It's free!

Drive belt tensioner noise

glenn_a

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Heya fellow Explorers, just a question... Do you guys came across with a rattling noise on the Drive Belt Tensioner..? I had my original replaced few years because its start rattling then I bought a Dayco brand and few months later started same noise... I left it for almost a year but its starting to annoy me then I bought another Tensioner brand Gates and week later the started making rattling noise again...

I even replace the drive belt but still the same, just wondering what is the right belt length and part number would help... just curious maybe either too tight or a bit loose, please help...!

oh by the way I have a V6 SOHC 1997 Explorer, thanks! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check if the tensioner is close to the middle of the outer wear marks first. If OK, start the engine and watch the tensioner for pulley wobble, anything more than 1/8" is excessive. Remove the belt and check ALL pulleys for binding by spinning them. If all are smooth, start the engine for less than one minute without the belt a listen for noises.

Gates Tensioners Troubleshooting - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhYItqwAbeg

These are the correct belts for your 1997 4.0 SOHC. Part number is stamped on belt. (Gates K060864 or Dayco 5060865)
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4293&cc=1119675&jnid=497&jpid=8
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=960523&cc=1119675&jnid=497&jpid=7

Stock20Belt_1.jpg

thank you!

yes I double checked the tension and its all good.. I even removed the belt just to make sure if it really coming out from the tensioner which it does and checked if its loose but then its all good too..

would it be make a difference if you tighten the bolt which hold the tensioner first then fit the belt..? The reason I asked because I noticed when the tensioner is on tensioned then I slack the bolt then the tensioner moved around 5mm...

Oh yes sorry forgot to mentioned too it makes the noise louder when the idle is on 750-850 rpm (when ever its on gear) but when I rev it up a little then the rattling noise disappear... my Explorer is Auto..

Definitely install and tighten the tensioner FIRST. Remove and inspect the tensioner, bolt, and threads in the block. Hopefully you didn't cause any damage if the bolt was loose. Torque 30-40 ft/lbs. and install the belt with a 3/8"
drive ratchet or breaker bar, and cheater pipe for leverage if available. I suspect you may need another tensioner.

Have you checked the idler pulley, water pump, ac pump, ps pump separately?

yeah thanks for all the messages... sorry been away for a week holiday...

The tensioner is brand new with a pulley and this is the third time I replaced it because that rattling noise, I am 100% sure its coming from the tensioner which I double checked with my stethoscope...

I noticed that when only the idle dropped on idle D mode and starting to rattle I checked and saw the pulley kinda vibrate up and down but not side to side.. very little and I have to look very close to see it vibrate, the funny thing was since I built the engine and replaced everything then I get this problem and I thought I have a cheap tensioner so I bought a better brand but only lasted few months then I bought this Gates Tensioner and lasted few weeks and its back again.. I wish I kept the original Tensioners but it all gone long time ago.. I am thinking that maybe the belt is a bit long or a bit short because its a non genuine belt, my last option is to buy the belt and tensioner from ford..

I have tried 6PK2200 & 6PK2000 & 6PK1995...

Do you think having a metal pulley will make a difference...? just thinking I think my original belt tensioner was a metal and all the aftermarket was plastic...

Definitely install and tighten the tensioner FIRST. Remove and inspect the tensioner, bolt, and threads in the block. Hopefully you didn't cause any damage if the bolt was loose. Torque 30-40 ft/lbs. and install the belt with a 3/8"
drive ratchet or breaker bar, and cheater pipe for leverage if available. I suspect you may need another tensioner.

thanks and yeah I double checked and its all good but the rattle is still in the tensioner ;(

Yeah, when the belt's too long the tensioner vibrates on its own limit stops.

all good now..! :salute:

I fitted slightly shorter Drive Belt and its all good, no noise at all...

Thanks for all your input :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

When I had my engine changed over a year ago I supplied the belt but they didn't use it because they said it was too short.
They instead bough and charged me for an incorrect too long belt which slipped.

The just didn't pull the tensioner around enough when fitting the belt.

They also lost the NGK Iridiums I supplied.

Did the noise return after using a shorter belt? I see that you have a sohc but rock auto lists the same belts for my ohv. I’ve been through several belt tensioners the last couple of years and I’m wondering if my 88” belt is causing the rattling issue.

Do you also remember what length you went with? Thanks.

You should get the Ford Motorcraft belt tensioner.

Good luck!
Dr

Gates left, OE right. Same yes?

NT5uwHu.jpg
nZ30Sja.jpg

I would definitely second that. A while ago ordered an after-market one (don't remember the brand). The pulley was plastic, just like the photo of the Gates-branded one in the posting above shows, and the cheap no-name bearing (except for "China" marked on it), was wobbly right out of the box. Ended re-using the bearing and pulley from the original tensioner. It's been quiet ever since.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good luck!
Dr

That’s the first one that started to rattle. I ordered if off amazon though, so I may have gotten a fake part. I’ll do rock auto next time. I’ve been through two gates so far that rattle too.

Back