best cost-efficient lowering kit for improved handling only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

best cost-efficient lowering kit for improved handling only

Ford_Power

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
anyone have any recommendations for a lowering kit that would be for improved handling as opposed as a super lowering for style. i'm looking at something that wouldn't be that expensive but would get the job done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I lowered my 99, yake a look at the write up at Dead Link Removed

Good luck....

yea, i've actually read your write-up and i've checked out the EE lowering kit i was just seeing if anyone had any other recommendations of something better or different.

Yea, all you have to do is Torsion Twist and rear lowering blocks. Just do an inch or even two up front. Then use 1" blocks in the rear. ---=== My write up is here ===---

lowerBnA.jpg

do the 2001s have the same suspension setup as the '95s? do they use leaf springs or coil-overs?

"To start off this is no different than lowering any 95-00 Explorer. "

ok, i'm retarded. disregard my last post

so what was your total cost to lower your X?

Remember when you lower, you really need to add adjustable camber cams and have it aligned. Be sure to figuer that into your cost.

Goosd luck....

Twist Torsion Bolts = Free
Rear lowering blocks from AutoZone= >$20
Alingnment with Camber Adjusters= $200

Toatal Aprox= $220

Being a lowered Explorer, Priceless.

Sorry just couldn't resist. LOL

lol.

that alignment with camber adjusters is a bite in the ass tho isn't it?

Hi.

One question: the 3" drop in the front- is that safe? You're low cost way is very tempting...:)

yeah its safe. its the same system used in the EE kit you just don't pay a couple hundred for the instructions...

I lowered my 95 using some 25 dollar 1" blocks from Gyp Boys (pep boys) and letting the front down 1.5 inches. Makes a big improvement in handling, doesn't feel as wallowy in the turns as it used to.

All it did was cost me the money for the blocks, and about an hour and half of time.

Blocks and alignment cost me $140

yea, i'm wondering about the camber adjusters. are those only necessary if you lower it to a certain level? i mean, they're used to make sure the wear on the tires is equal right? so i mean, how low could you lower your truck without seriously having to worry about replacing your camber adjusters?

you probably can't go more than an inch lower without them and you would likely need them just for that

yeah even with mine just being a tad bit lower than stock, the front tires have a bit of negative camber, although it's not wearing the tires any, most of my tire wear is from cornering and the wishy-washy Goodyear Wranglers that roll over onto the sidewall pretty easily.

There is vastly less wear than before when I had a loose upper arm.

Back