Best Gen Explorer for Camping rig?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Gen Explorer for Camping rig??

bajaexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
san diego California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford expedition
Hello
I joined this forum because i am interested in an explorer for my new camping rig, i live south of San Diego so i have all of Mexicos Baja penninsula to explore. I have had awesome adventures in my 2001 Nissan Xterra 4x4 but i sold her a few months ago. I am looking for a replacement and the explorer's seem to fit the bill, I need something reliable, cheap, parts availability, easy to work on and it has to have 4x4 2 speed transfer case.

For some reason i really like the 3th gen explorer (my parents bought a 2002 new when i was a kid, so maybe thats why) but i also like the first gen, second gen and explorer sport models although i dont know if these came with 4x4. Ive made some reaserch but it kind of seems confusing, i am reading that some models had terrible transmission issues, some spit out spark plugs, second gens can't be lifted without heavy modification, etc..

What models should i avoid and what wich ones are the best for light to moderate off roading??, lots of sand, mud, dirt roads and snow in higher elevations. I really like the 2 doors explorer sport but i dont know if it has a bad tranny, if there is a way to bullet proof the tranny in the 3th gen i would buy one but i dont want to buy a money pit exploder.

I know i am asking a handfull but i am kind of new to these suv's, i was a newbie when i first got my xterra and now i kind of now the quirks of each generation, hopefully it will be the same soon with explorer's.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They all have some version of 4wd/AWD.

Will you be sleeping inside, on top (RTT), or ground tent?

I would go for the 4th gen. They are just an updated version of the 3rd, so they are newer and can probably be had with less miles on the clock. They have more interior room than the 1st and 2nd gen and they are better for "off-roading" than anything newer. Not sure if you want to lift whatever you get, but there are a ton of options. There are a few guys who have made a camping rig "overlander" out of them.

Make sure to search around the forum. There is so much info on here that can help you make up your mind.

I had a 2010 V6 with spacers on the front to level it to fit 32s.

camp.jpg

CJI_explorer.jpeg

CJI_1330.jpg

Another reason to go with a 4th gen is to get a V8 with around 25% more horsepower than the 3rd gen V8. That said, IMO, the main reason to go with a 4th gen V8 is it comes with a much more reliable and robust six speed transmission. Also, if you go with a 3rd or 4th gen get the Explorer and not the Mountaineer version. Only the Explorers have 4x4 Low.

They all have some version of 4wd/AWD.

Will you be sleeping inside, on top (RTT), or ground tent?

I would go for the 4th gen. They are just an updated version of the 3rd, so they are newer and can probably be had with less miles on the clock. They have more interior room than the 1st and 2nd gen and they are better for "off-roading" than anything newer. Not sure if you want to lift whatever you get, but there are a ton of options. There are a few guys who have made a camping rig "overlander" out of them.

Make sure to search around the forum. There is so much info on here that can help you make up your mind.

I had a 2010 V6 with spacers on the front to level it to fit 32s.

View attachment 343139
View attachment 343141
View attachment 343140
Thanks, your truck looks great, how capable is it in moderate stuff?? i am no rock crawler, i just want to carry my gear to remote surf spots, i sleep in a ground tent and use my roof to carry the surfboards or other gear, i didnt look into de 4th gen but i will now, are those trannys having issues like the 3th gens?? I found a servo bore fix kit for the 3th gen tranny so i was kind of still considering a cheap 2004ish Explorer.

Another reason to go with a 4th gen is to get a V8 with around 25% more horsepower than the 3rd gen V8. That said, IMO, the main reason to go with a 4th gen V8 is it comes with a much more reliable and robust six speed transmission. Also, if you go with a 3rd or 4th gen get the Explorer and not the Mountaineer version. Only the Explorers have 4x4 Low.
Thanks i am now looking at 4th gen as well, did Ford fix the transmission issues on the 4th gens??

Thanks i am now looking at 4th gen as well, did Ford fix the transmission issues on the 4th gens??
Only if you buy a V8 model. From 2006-2008 they have the 6R60 six speed and from 2009-2010 they have the 6R80 six speed. The difference between the two is the 6R80 has a slightly higher torque rating due to having slightly larger diameter shafts. All the 4th gen 4.0L SOHC V6 models still have the 5R55 transmission from the 3rd gen models. The 6R60/80 transmissions are much more reliable and durable than the 5R55 transmissions. Plus, the steeper 1st gear ratio they have takes away the need for high (numerically) differential gears. My 4th gen gets much better gas mileage than the two V8 3rd gens I owned and does this with an engine that puts out 55 more horsepower. Getting a 4th gen V8 is the best choice for what you plan to do, IMO. I would stay away from getting the V6 models because you then take on two potential high cost repair items. They are the timing chain and guide issues of the 4.0L SOHC engines and the high failure rate of the 5R55 transmissions. If they both go on you then that is going to be a hefty bill ($4k-$5k) just to buy the remanufactured engine and transmission. If you have a shop do the work then add another $2k to the bill. The V8s in the 3rd and 4th gens are very reliable if maintained moderately well. A 3rd gen V8 is a decent choice if you can live with an eventual transmission replacement. Your problem with a 3rd gen V8 over a 4th gen V8 might be a greater chance of the transmission going out on you in a remote location.

Only if you buy a V8 model. From 2006-2008 they have the 6R60 six speed and from 2009-2010 they have the 6R80 six speed. The difference between the two is the 6R80 has a slightly higher torque rating due to having slightly larger diameter shafts. All the 4th gen 4.0L SOHC V6 models still have the 5R55 transmission from the 3rd gen models. The 6R60/80 transmissions are much more reliable and durable than the 5R55 transmissions. Plus, the steeper 1st gear ratio they have takes away the need for high (numerically) differential gears. My 4th gen gets much better gas mileage than the two V8 3rd gens I owned and does this with an engine that puts out 55 more horsepower. Getting a 4th gen V8 is the best choice for what you plan to do, IMO. I would stay away from getting the V6 models because you then take on two potential high cost repair items. They are the timing chain and guide issues of the 4.0L SOHC engines and the high failure rate of the 5R55 transmissions. If they both go on you then that is going to be a hefty bill ($4k-$5k) just to buy the remanufactured engine and transmission. If you have a shop do the work then add another $2k to the bill. The V8s in the 3rd and 4th gens are very reliable if maintained moderately well. A 3rd gen V8 is a decent choice if you can live with an eventual transmission replacement. Your problem with a 3rd gen V8 over a 4th gen V8 might be a greater chance of the transmission going out on you in a remote location.

Thanks for tking the time to clear that up, i really appreciate it, now i have to do some reaserch based on that.

Welcome.

Back