• Register Today It's free!

Best long-travel mods?

99Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
How's it going everyone? This is my first post, but I've looking around the site for a while. I see a lot of you guys with SFA swaps, and crazy long travel going on. My Explorer is stock right now, but I want to get more travel out of it. What are some things that I can do to accomplish this? (aside from a SFA, don't have THAT much $$$). Will longer shocks do it? Or is there other stuff that I'm missing? Thanx for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to start of by welcoming you to the site. You'll find anything and everything all right here.

I'm guessing by SFA you mean SOA?? The Spring Over Axle is where the rear leaf springs are switched from the bottom of the axle to the top of the axle. It's a very cheap way to lift the rear end and to get some great "flex". The problem is that you must match the front. I see you have a newer explorer so that makes your quest a bit more troublesome. There are few lifts for the IFS out right now, and those that are involve a nice cost. :)

There are several easy ways to add some "flex" to the explorer. The easiest is removing the sway-bar when your off-roading. The sway-bar holds the frame and the body together and keeps it from rolling all the time. Great for on the road, but off the road it's like a cast. Take it off when you get to the trail. Also look into some Warrior Shackles. I've found that those also help and are under 60.

Good Luck!!

My guess on SFA is solid front axle. With your late model IFS, even with any available lift kit, you won't get much travel, although any increase is good. If you're looking for offroadability, focus on traction, i.e. tires and locker/LSD.

Originally posted by RangerX
My guess on SFA is solid front axle.

HUMMMM???? Never though of that one. Sorry if I though you were wrong and you were correct all along. :)

IFS is limited

Bill's right. No matter what you do the new suspension it wont allow much more than 4" of traval. However, you can do a few Mods to the rear (Warior Shackles, Zimmerman spring, etc). Your best bet is to add Lockers F/R with 2" Body Lift, a little fender trimming and 33x9.5 BFGs. Sorry, no Locker available for the new front. But, this setup is fairly cheap($1200) and would "Kick-it" on the trail.

Back