Long-Travel Suspension | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Long-Travel Suspension

Heh - and what are the membership requirements for FROADER? lol. If Camburg is looking at buying, it must be worth something. Do you think he could adapt it to a cut-and-turned D44 TTB?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you should have to be willing to haul ass and jump your truck to be a "Froader"!!!!!

That's a good idea, Khris. But I don't know anyone like that.... lol

Or, you have to be able to scare the crap out of your passanger while being in total control!!!

Hell, Khris - if it was that easy, I wouldn't hafta mod my truck... lol

I've done it tons in my Fathers Dune Buggy in fact I 've scared the crap out of him in his own ride!! I think I had some people on edge last weekend in my Explorer but they were rookies so it doesn't take too much and I was going easy trying to preserve my ride till it's actually built to abuse.

Just think - Someday you'll be able to scare the bejesus outta your dad with air conditioning...

Bislam-

Hey man read my thread on the Bronco/F150 Coils and tell me if you think that may help my swaying problem. I'm hoping to get my radius arms next weekend and try getting them mounted up with those new coils on the 19th. Then in the shop on the 20th for an alignment and off to the dezert on the 21 or 22nd.

I saw that thread, and another that you posted in about the same thing. If the Bronco/150 coils can be used (and I don't see why not) then they might just take care of the problem. I know in the other thread, they were talking about using 2wd F150 coils to give a 2" lift, but said it rode like crap. Don't know how true it is. I say go for it! I'd imagine that the coils would be much stiffer than X coils, and if they give the ride height you're after, then you just might be set (for a little while at least)

Alright, I just have to say this. Winter and I went to pick up Paul's front end kit today. You guys are going to crap your pants when you see his truck at Truck Haven in January. I can't wait until I can afford it myslef to put it on mine. It's actually 3" per side and can be adjusted to ride at 4" - 6" of lift.

I'm telling you, there will be crap in your pants.

Alright, it sounds like there's officially another suspension player in the game. I may have to wait to do too much till I see this one. Any chance of getting a sneek peek at it sometime? I'm hoping in a week or two to get my radius arms. They bolt to a chromoly tranny cross member that replaces teh stock one and are chromoly them selves. They use heim joints also. I'm not sure how much longer they are but if you measure from the end of the stock radius arm to you actual tranny cross member that should be a ballpark of their length.

I'm glad I'm waiting a while on my build, with all this new stuff coming out. I still think I'm going to use a D44 TTB and run custom radius arms from the beams to the tranny crossmember. Khris - I'd like to hear more about the arms, and how well you like 'em. Let me know about the F150 coils too.

Will do, I'm hoping that these work. They actually are made for the 4WD rangers and I know the frame is a little different. I'm going to go and check them out and see if it's just a matter of relocating some holes or what. If it's going to be serious then I'll just end up running the Camburg Radius arms. I still haven't heard back from the guys with the coils but I'm hoping to get those in to. I figure I can deal with a rough ride on the street. Also while I have them out I may plate my stock buckets to beef them up a little. I figure the stiffer springs just means I have to hit shiat harder right????

Just use more of the skinny pedal! That makes it all better. I just saw tiessen's post on the coils, he said they might be too big.

I'm getting anxious!!! As soon as Donahoe has their Radius arms built I'm going to check them out to see if the Cross member will work or can be modified to work. If so I'm buying them, they said maybe by the end of this week. If the Donahoe's won't work then I'm getting the Camburg radius arms!!

Sounds good man. So are you going to get your arms now, and then have your TTB cut-and-turned later and get stock pivot brackets, and just build up over time like that or what?

Yeah, that's my plans. I'm thinking while I have it apart putting on the radius arms I'll box in and gusset the stock coil buckets. Then in a month or two I'll get the TTB cut and turned and mount them on my coils. Then a little while after that I'll get the coilovers and all the rest of the fabrication taken care of. What do you think!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet!!! I can't wait to see this thing in life or photos. I'm really intrigued with what he's doing and probably around the time I'm ready to spend the bulk of my money he may be ready to do another one. We'll wait and see. I figure if I did end up going with whatever it is he's building and my Radius arms won't work I could still probably get some good $ for them seeing what used Camburgs go for!!

Back