best shocks/struts for 2000 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

best shocks/struts for 2000 Explorer?

Ryan1324

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 f150 fx4
I just took over a 2000 Eddy Bauer with the load leveling system installed. I am going to do the Torsion Twist and shackle kit upgrades, just wondering what shocks/struts are best for this application. Im planning on deleting the load leveling system. Looking through a few treads i've seen guys using the Rancho 5000 and monroe struts on the rear and wondering how these are working.

As well, what is the best combo of rim size/tires for these things? i'm thinking of going with 31s. Planning on doing a bit of off road but nothing crazy, logging roads and some trails, not much mud. i live in a pretty dry area and still want to use this as a daily driver.
thanks for any input!

There are no struts on a second gen. You will have to disable the air ride. The Ranchos are pretty good. 31s will fit with a TT and shackles .

You will lose gas mileage with the heavier more aggressive 31s.

I just bought the KYB gas adjust ones all around. Seems to be recommended from the searching I did. $138 from rockauto.

I've been happy with the Rancho 5000 front shocks.
99% of my driving is on paved roads though.

Back