• Register Today It's free!

Best Tire Size, Cobra Wheels

dana88

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountianeer
Hi Everyone, I just recently picked up a 1999 AWD 5.0 Mountaineer.
I plan on lowering it, using the X-Spec complete Kit, so this will only lower it around 2in.
I have a set of Cobra R Wheels I want to use on the Truck. I was checking to see what the Best Size Tire to use, (the truck came with P235/75 R15 = 28.87 in) it looks like 275/55/R17 would the best size (overall diameter 28.90in), 255/60/R17 (overall diameter 29.04) is pretty close. I would like the use the larger 275/55/R17, but will I have any rubbing issues?

Mounty_Front_Drivers.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might have to trim the upper ball joint area just a tad as the 275 might "just" touch right there. Also, expect a slight bit of rub on the sway bar when steering to full lock. It isn't too bad though.

You might need to re route the emergency brake cable for rear tire clearance.

I don't know about the tire size and rubbing, but if you're going to put a sport tire on there I would look at these. I have been running them for a couple years and love them.

You might have to trim the upper ball joint area just a tad as the 275 might "just" touch right there. Also, expect a slight bit of rub on the sway bar when steering to full lock. It isn't too bad though.

You might need to re route the emergency brake cable for rear tire clearance.

Thanks Turdle, I will probably go with the larger tire. With the small tires currently on the Cobra R's, (245 45) it looked like there was plenty of space around the tire's. I will check for the sway bar and brake cable clearance

:cool:

General Grabber Tires

I don't know about the tire size and rubbing, but if you're going to put a sport tire on there I would look at these. I have been running them for a couple years and love them.

These Tires look like a great choice! How do they handle in the Wet? Also how is the Road Noise.

trans.gif

The are quiet, ride decent and handle excellent in the wet. My other Explorer with AT tires is all over in the wet without even trying. My Explorer with these tires I can't ever hardly break loose in the wet even if I'm trying. And that's with more power and lower gearing. They have about 40,000 miles on them and don't even look half worn.

Thanks briwayjones, I will give those a try. The Price looks pretty good too compared to most of the others.:cool:

Fitting the Cobra Wheels

I did go with the 275/55/R17 General Grabber Tires (thanks briwayjones). I did a test fit and the tires did just touch the ball joint & turning the wheels all the way right and left rubbed the sway bar.
I had a couple of wheel spacers, one 1/2" the other 1/4". I first tested the 1/2". The ball joint was pretty far away from the tire and it didn't rub the sway bar much. The problem is, the studs on the hub are too short and I would need to install longer studs for the wheel to safely connect to the hub. Also the center hub is gone, the half inch spacer completely covers it.
I next tried the 1/4" spacer, frist thing I noticed was the Center Hub is not covered and the wheels will contact the center Hub fine with the stock wheel studs. I checked the space between the upper ball joint and the tire and its about 1/2 inch clearence, which should be ok. I next tried the turning and it does rub the sway bars, but not that bad. I took it for a test drive and did some U turns maxing out the turns and it was fine, only slight rubbing. I may install some turning limiters when I replace the Rack and Pinion Steering to fix this issue.
Now I just need to replace the front suspension, I am currently looking at RAYBESTOS Professional Grade, upper and lower control arms from Rock Auto.
I have heard Moog is not making the same quality parts as it once did, and these RAYBESTOS Professional Grade parts, at least from what I found, are a good quality part.

These guys pretty much covered everything I was gonna add lol......I run 17 inch Cobra's with Toyo Proxes S/T 275's. Threw some very small spacers on (3/16 and 5/16) and i'm good. But yes I still do rub slightly when cranking the wheel all the way, but you get used to not doing it....

My tires are also a lil' more pricey so check those grabbers out!

Cobra Wheels

NYMount21, I like your the way yours looks, cobra wheels and the solid color all around. I am thinking of painting the bottom half of my Mounty (its currently a dark grey, but faded and needs to be painted anyway) a matching white, same as the top half. The White paint on this Truck is in pretty good shape and can be buffed out. I would like to also get a white painted grill with a black Mesh insert.
Here is a pick of the Mounty with the new Cobra wheels up front, it sits pretty high right now, I will lower it about 1.5 in when I replace the front suspension parts.
Passenger_Side_Cobra_Wheel.jpg

Drivers_Side_Cobra_Wheel.jpg

Looking good! I was lucky to find a Mounty at the time with the monotoned paint scheme, and I'm glad I took it! There definitely some people on here that have done that to Mounty's before, a black one comes to mind that you can find on CarDomain.com if I remember correctly.

If you ever wanted to get fancy and chop your Mercury symbol out of your grille, I think I still have the spokes from when I completely took mine out so you could just replace the emblem.....just a though. Keep up the good work!

This is the set up that I have on my Explorer with Cobra R's :)

PA120267.jpg

Nice Wheels

Looks nice, I like those White Cobra Wheels. I just picked up some Suspension parts, so I will be lowering mine very soon, I will post some new pics when its done :exp:

Go staggered set up, 20's. 245/275 tires :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC_0497.JPG
    DSC_0497.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 4,842

Looks nice, I like those White Cobra Wheels. I just picked up some Suspension parts, so I will be lowering mine very soon, I will post some new pics when its done :exp:

Thank you very much. Sory to say this but they dont make them any more.:(

Man, l8psiExplorer, that Sport is a beauty! Why haven't I seen you in Mooresville?????? Maybe it's all that freakin' traffic you guys have on that side of the lake! Very niiiiiiiice!:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

So, do I need spacers if I get 18x9 in the front and 18x10 in the rear?

So, do I need spacers if I get 18x9 in the front and 18x10 in the rear?
yes, I picked up some from Maximum Motorsports

MMWS-2_LG.jpg

These are made for the mustang, but work fine using the Cobra Wheels. There are probably other wheel spacer's around, but I didnt want to go cheap and have any issues with the wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back